Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeing the neuro on friday

hi all,

i am brand new to this forum and to the idea that i could potentially have MS.

my history in a very small nutshell:
    i have been having back pain for about a year. i finally got an MRI and while i was pleased to see improvement in my disc bulges, it revealed that i have multiple sites of demyelination in my cervical spine with another lesion in my lumbar spine. the thoracic spine was not imaged, but my doc said he would suspect that there are lesions there too.

the report stated that MS was suspected. as you can imagine, it was quite a surprise to see that on the report and at this point i am just quite numb. i'm not even sure what to hope for.

i am meeting the neuro on friday and i have been told to expect a full MS workup by my pcp. i asked if there were any benign causes of demyelination and he said a virus could cause it. keeping my fingers crossed for that i guess (?)

i do have some symptoms that may or may not correlate with a MS diagnosis. i have double vision, its mild but definitely there. i also have floaters in my eyes. additionally, i have a positive tandem romberg test (balance problems), and difficulties with alternating hand movements. i am increasingly forgetful and seem to have trouble planning things. when i write i sometimes spell words with the letters out of sequence. this is something that i have noticed more in the last year or so but attributed it to stress. for me i would consider this abnormal since i have always been a fantastic speller and was on the spelling bee team when i was younger.

maybe yes, maybe no. i guess i will find out more soon. in the meantime, this is a place i felt like people would understand what it feels like to not know. is there anyone here who also has the spinal lesions? do you have any symptoms from them? is there anyone here who found out that they didn't have MS after the discovery of spinal lesions?

thanks all.
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Hi meegun

Welcome!

Sounds like you are currently in the testing phase for your neurological symptoms. I don't know how much you have researched, but here is some useful info from the National MS Society that explains the criteria for an MS diagnosis, as well as the various tests:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

At the bottom of that page, there is info on other conditions that can cause MS like symptoms and demyelination.

is there anyone here who also has the spinal lesions? do you have any symptoms from them?
    Yes, I have spinal cord lesions. I was diagnosed with PPMS. And yes, I have symptoms from the spinal lesions such as bladder problems, mobility problems, foot drop, wrist drop, spasticity, muscle weakness, etc.

I had spinal lesions before the brain lesions appeared.

You may also be interested in this info about the other conditions that your neuro needs to rule out:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...out/index.aspx

Meegun, you might get more responses if you ask your question about spinal lesions in the General Questions and Answers forum.

Good luck with your testing process. Keep us informed as to what you find out. We'll be here!

If you have any questions, just ask and we'll be glad to help if we can.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by meeegun View Post
      is there anyone here who also has the spinal lesions? do you have any symptoms from them?
      Hello meeegun and welcome to MSWorld.

I have mostly cervical spinal cord lesions and yes, I have/had symptoms from them.

LHermittes, bi-lateral leg weakness, numbness from waist down, buzzing/vibrations from waist down and mobility problems.

I have relapsing/remitting MS
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

WELCOME!!!!! glad your here!!!!! hate that you may have ms though.

i also have spinal lesions, and like koko, mobility and bladder issues as well as spasicity and musle weakness also. but don`t let our issues bother you, ms treats everyone differently.

i use to work with a guy who was dx at 18, he`s 45 now and only has a slight limp. good luck.

dave
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
        X