Really New Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really New Newbie

Hi all...My name is Debi and right now I am in the midst of confirming a diagnosis of MS. Wow...really sucks to even type that out.

I actually began having problems in 1997 when I was in nursing school. I hear the stress will bring out that "ms monster". Anyway, I was having some visual and balance problems. My neuro suspected MS, but no lesions were found at that time, so we took a "wait and see" approach.
    In 2002 I had an Aortic Dissection and had to have emergency open heart surgery. During the surgery, the bypass machine shut down for a brief period, which my doc says is probably the cause of seizures that started shortly after surgery. Another "flare up" including gait disturbances and bladder problems along with increased seizures in 2004 when my husband died in an accident. Again in 2006 when extreme stress hit our family again. I haven't followed up with the MS suspicions since I was battling seizures and trying to get them under control. But now, 5 years later, balance, gait disturbance, the horrible fatigue and weakness are back...full force. So now it is finally time to act.

I started a 4 hour head/neck/spinal survey (MRI) this past Friday, but was unable to finish it due to leg and back spasms. So tomorrow I will finish that scan. I'm down about the thought of having to truly face an MS diagnosis right now, but ready for some answers and to start some type of treatment.

It is hard to have my parents and my husband (of 18 mos now) react with worry and fear...I just can not be "nurse" right now and hold their hands thru this....I need to be the "patient" and have someone hold my hand. It sounds selfish, but I am more afraid than I thought I would be thru this.

I hope that I can find some support and friendships thru this site. All responses are sooooo welcome.

Thanks!

Hi DebiB

Welcome!

I started a 4 hour head/neck/spinal survey (MRI) this past Friday, but was unable to finish it due to leg and back spasms. So tomorrow I will finish that scan. I'm down about the thought of having to truly face an MS diagnosis right now, but ready for some answers and to start some type of treatment.
    Hope your MRI goes well today, and your spasms are gone. Maybe you will get some answers soon.

It's less anxiety provoking to know what's going on, than to not know. When you know what you're dealing with, you can move forward.

Let us know what you find out. We'll be here!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi and welcome,
      There is a section here for nurses with MS also that you should check out. Best wishes, Jules
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. So glad to have the scan done. Just so freakin exhausted today. Such an effort to just move today. At the same time, really glad to finally feel like I'm moving forward...LOL maybe not physically, but at least knowledge-wise... Anyway, thanks, Jules, I saw the "nurse" section when I was "lurking" around. I'm gonna check it out more. So great to have a place to go visit where I know people really know how I feel.

Have a great day, all!

Comment

hi debi, and welcome!!!!!!!! you will find the support a very plentiful thing here! anytime you want to "unload or vent", do so, many of us have already dealt with whatever your going thru. good luck.

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Dave! I am planning on taking full advantage!

Comment

Hi and welcome!

I am a premed student, about to go turncoat and change to prePhD. Whatever that means = lol. I am interested in biomedical research. I know wayyyyyyyy too much about the body and what happens to it, and my youngest son was born chronically ill. He is 5 now - and my family is also used to me being the one to hold everyone up and explain things. It has been very difficult for EVERYONE in my life to make the transition to holding MY hand and holding ME up. I won't lie and tell you that it has gone well at all. People get used to roles, and they are used to me in the "strong" and "informative" role, they don't want to switch roles. So, now I am not only wearing every hat I ever wore before, but now I wear the patient one too. It sucks, but luckily i am pretty strong. Unfortunetly, MS is a very formidable foe.

I hope your family does better than mine and comes around faster. I can certainly relate to that aspect of what you wrote. I am sorry you are here, but I know you will find great support here. Best of luck.
              Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
              ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Thanks, Sasha! That actually made me feel better. Funny how it really helps to know you are not alone...that others are having the same problems you have...AND they understand.

I also noticed that you are on Topamax. I am awaiting my confirmation of diagnosis, so I am not on any meds particular to MS, but have been on Topamax for years (seizures). Do you mind my asking what you take it for? Migraines or Seizures?

Anyway...Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                X