Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting tested for MS

Hi All,
    My name is Nichole. I'm new here. I just had an appointment with my doctor today and with my symptoms she thinks it's possible I have ms. All she did today was take blood. Once she gets those results we start more testing. I know it's not confirmed that I have it yet, but I don't really have anyone to talk to and I'm scared. I haven't even told my husband yet. He tends to be the kind of person who always tells me everything will be ok. I don't want to hear that this time cause we really don't know what the future holds. I have a 6 month old baby.. I'm just starting my life. I don't know much about ms or what my future holds if I do really have it. I'm just looking for some support from people who have been down this road before. Any advice or words of wisdom you can share would really help!! Thanks for listening!

Hi Nichole Ann

Sounds like you are early-on in your quest for a diagnosis. The blood tests are usually the first tests, to rule out various disorders such as Vitamin B-12 deficiency, etc.

Here is a link from the National MS Society which explains the diagnosis process and the various tests:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

I know it's not confirmed that I have it yet, but I don't really have anyone to talk to and I'm scared. I haven't even told my husband yet. He tends to be the kind of person who always tells me everything will be ok. I don't want to hear that this time cause we really don't know what the future holds.
    It's normal to feel afraid when you have symptoms, and don't know what is wrong. You might have MS, or you might not. Keep in mind that if you are diagnosed with MS, you really could have many good years of a life that is normal or near normal.

Things might not work out as you planned, or wanted, but you can still be ok through it all.

And you are right that we don't know what the future holds. Nobody knows what the future holds, MS or not. There is no crystal ball in real life.

I don't know much about ms or what my future holds if I do really have it. I'm just looking for some support from people who have been down this road before. Any advice or words of wisdom you can share would really help!!
    The National MS Society website has a wealth of information about MS, and you will learn alot here at MS World too.
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

If possible, try to take each day as it comes, and try not catastrophize about a future that is unknown.

If you have any questions, just ask and we'll be glad to help if we can.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing, and what you find out.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X