Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hello Everyone. Been coming here a few days now, looking around and reading. Thought I would stop by and say Hello!!

I was just diagnosed with MS 2 weeks ago. Around the first of March I awoke one morning with my right foot numb and tingling. Thought I was getting a migraine. From there it only got worse. Took me almost 4 months to get into a Nuerologist. My MRI of the brain shows 6 small lesions. And the MRI of my spine shows a huge lesion right at the top of my spine. I just finished 5 days of IV Steroid Infusion. That was a living hell. But now I can at least walk again and write. I start PT Friday. And I have to decide what kind of MS meds I want to take.

I have been looking around the forums, reading and trying to figure it all out. The right foods, the right meds, the right vitamins, the right life style. Everything is going to change and frankly I am at a loss on how to start. I know I have to figure out what will work for me and be the best for me. So, any pointers on starting would be greatly appreciated
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us-Ralph Waldo Emerson

My advice? Start slow. I have slowly been changing my diet to be more healthy, taking different food items out/adding new ones in steadily as to not shock my system or start craving things like twinkies that I am trying not to eat very often. I've starting exercising a few days a week for about an hour and occasionally take a few days off to recoop. I'm on Betaseron and have been since the beginnin of last month. I just titrated up to the full dose on Saturday. It hurts and leaves bruises but I'm dealing well with it overall.

It's easier to walk before you run so I suggest you make changes gradually. Good Luck!
    Rae Roy

Comment

Hello wassons5

Welcome!

I have been looking around the forums, reading and trying to figure it all out. The right foods, the right meds, the right vitamins, the right life style. Everything is going to change and frankly I am at a loss on how to start. I know I have to figure out what will work for me and be the best for me. So, any pointers on starting would be greatly appreciated
      Try not to get too overwhemed. Living an overall, healthy lifestyle is good for everyone, MS or not.

For starters, think of the obvious healthy choices: stop smoking if you smoke, keep hydrated, get plenty of rest (good sleeping habits), eat plenty of vegetables and fruit, incorporate the healthy oils (fats) into your diet, stay away from junk food, get regular exercise. These are basic.

Then, you can fine tune your nutrition and supplement needs. Many persons with MS have their Vitamin D level checked, and usually have their B12 checked during the diagnosis process. Some have to supplement these vitamins.

Reading Tara's Nutrition and Supplement forum will give you some ideas.

Feel free to ask questions and share your experiences. You will learn alot here!

Good luck!

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
      X