Experiences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences...

HELLO. MY NAME IS TRISH. I AM 32 YRS OLD & HAVE AN ALMOST 10 YEAR OLD SON AND AN ALMOST 8 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. THEIR FATHER AND I SEPERATED & DIVORCED IN 2004. I AM REMARRIED TO A WONDERFUL MAN. AND OH, YEAH, I HAVE MS--DIAGNOSED IN FEBRUARY OF 2005.

THIS POST IS IN RESPONSE TO A QUESTION I WAS ASKED IN THE MSWORLD CHAT ROOM AT THE BEGINNING OF LAST WEEK. ANOTHER MS SUFFERER ASKED ME WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A RELAPSE....MY NEUROLOGIST HAS DUBBED MY MS AS "AGGRESSIVE RRMS." I CAN'T EVEN COUNT HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH 3-5 DAYS OF IV SOLUMEDROL AND I REALLY REALLY DON'T WANT TO TRY.

THERE IS NO PART OF MY BODY THAT THIS DARN DISEASE HAS LEFT ALONE OVER THE LAST SIX YEARS. I HAVE HAD TO RECOVER THE USE OF MY LEGS & FEELING IN SAID LIMBS...TO SOME EXTENT...MY RIGHT LEG NEVER CAME BACK COMPLETELY AND FEELS LIKE FROSTNIP ALWAYS.

I LOST AND HAD TO RELEARN HOW TO USE BOTH OF MY ARMS & HANDS. TRYING TO WRITE & SIGN A CHECK FOR RENT WITH A HAND FULL OF CURLED AND USELESS CLAWS ISNT MY IDEA OF A FUN TIME.

MY SHORT-TERM MEMORY IS BEYOND HORRIBLE. MY HANDS SHAKE & MY HEAD BOUNCES ON ITS OWN AT TIMES. I HAVE ALMOST COMPLETELY LOST MY VISION TWICE AND I'M SCARED TO BUY GLASSES BECAUSE THEY ARE EXPENSIVE & I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO REPLACE THEM IN 6 MONTHS.

I WISH I DIDN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT FELT LIKE TO HAVE BALANCE & ENERGY. I HAVE SPENT TIME BEING COMPLETELY INCONINENT AS WELL AS PARTIALLY SO. MOST OF THE TIME I FEEL PHYSICALLY BEAT...NO ENERGY, LEAD-LIMBED...BUT NOT SLEEPY.

THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN MY LOWER JAW AS WELL AS MY CHEEKS HAVE FELT AS THOUGH THEY'D BEEN DRILLED INTO WITHOUT ANESTHETIC. MANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS ARE TRANSIENT AND DO NOT CONSTITUTE A RELAPSE BY THEMSELVES. ADD ANY OF THEM TOGETHER FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS & IT MEANS A TRIP TO THE NEUROLOGIST FOR YET ANOTHER ROUND OF STEROIDS.

I SPENT THE FIRST TWO YEARS AFTER MY DIAGNOSIS ON AVONEX (THE FIRST OF WHICH I ALSO WAS GIVEN AN INFUSION EVERY 2 MONTHS OF THE CHEMOTHERAPY DRUG, METHOTREXATE).

AFTER THE SECOND YEAR OF AVONEX MY NEUROLOGIST HADN'T SEEN ENOUGH IMPROVEMENT AND SUGGESTED WE CHANGE TO BETASERON. I TOOK BETASERON FOR 4 YEARS. IT SEEMED THAT MY DISEASE HAD STABILIZED AT 1 RELAPSE EVERY 6-8 MONTHS ... TILL THIS SUMMER.

AT LEAST 3 NEW LESIONS IN MY GREY MATTER...AS OF THE BEGINNING OF JUNE...AND MY NEURO HAS NOW SWITCHED ME TO THE NEW DRUG GILENYA.
    I HAVE VERY HIGH HOPES FOR THIS ONE.

TODAY WILL BE THE FIRST DAY OF MY CURRENT ATTEMPT TO GET IN BETTER PHYSICAL SHAPE--NOTHING TOO BIG, JUST GONNA GO FOR A SHORT WALK WITH MY CHILDREN. NOT GONNA GIVE UP...NOT NOW & NOT EVER.

THIS DISEASE JUST FLAT-OUT SUX. WE ALL EXPERIENCE IT DIFFERENTLY & TO DIFFERING DEGREES. SOMETIMES WE GET JUDGED BY OTHERS (FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND STRANGERS) BY WHAT THEY SEE & FAIL TO UNDERSTAND.

WE ALL (EVERYONE, NOT JUST MS SUFFERING PEOPLE) NEED TO REMEMBER THAT WE NEED TO WALK A FEW MILES IN SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES BEFORE WE MAKE ANY JUDGEMENTS.

I KNOW THAT...BEING YOUNG AND OUTWARDLY APPARENTLY HEALTHY, PEOPLE MAKE CRUEL AND GENERALLY INCORRECT JUDGEMENTS. CAN WE TRY TO NOT DO THE SAME TO EACH OTHER?

CAN WE TRY TO REMEMBER THAT "YOU LOOK SO HEALTHY" AND "WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER A RELAPSE TO BE" ARE JUST TWO VERSIONS OF THE SAME QUESTION AND MANIFEST THE SAME DISBELIEF. BOTH QUESTIONS ARE HURTFUL AND BOTH SAY "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU'RE REALLY SICK."

*** Moderator's note - line spacing added for easier reading. Many members have difficulty reading large blocks of text.

Originally posted by BabyGirl13 View Post
    CAN WE TRY TO REMEMBER THAT "YOU LOOK SO HEALTHY" AND "WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER A RELAPSE TO BE" ARE JUST TWO VERSIONS OF THE SAME QUESTION AND MANIFEST THE SAME DISBELIEF. BOTH QUESTIONS ARE HURTFUL AND BOTH SAY "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU'RE REALLY SICK."
    Hello BabyGirl13,

When asked "what do you consider a relapse?" In most cases they are trying to understand what a relapse is. MSWorld has alot of newly diagnosed or those who are going through the diagnostic process and tying to understand this disease. It's not uncommon to get questions on the message board about relapses, what they are and how relapses affect others.

The comment "you look so healthy" or " you look good"

Those comments can frustrate and anger some...not me. Many years ago I had gone to see my neuro due to a relapse. When I went back a few weeks later he told me I loked much better. It was then that I realized I had looked as bad as I felt.

I much prefer "looking healthy" or "looking good" to someone telling me I look like crap or unhealthy.

Neither one (you look healthy, what do you consider a relapse) is meant to be hurtful. It also doesn't mean "I don't believe your really sick."
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by BabyGirl13 View Post
      I asked (in a german forum) a few weeks ago, how you really know if a relapse is getting worse and a real relapse. And it wasn't meant hurtful, I just really didn't knew. I've had 5 Lesions in my last MRT. 1 from 2000, when I've had numb hands without any diagnosis. 1 from 2004, the relapse that brought me the diagnosis when I got numb legs. 3 from 2008 after the birth of my second child and I swear I didn't noticed anything. And now number 6 (maybe, MRT of my brain showed nothing, but I can only walk a few meters without getting problems).

And I really didn't knew if this is a real relapse (now I knew) when it started.

Greets,
      Karin
      "If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time." (Sherri Chasin Calvo)

Comment

Hi Trish

Welcome to the Forums - nice to meet you.

It sounds like MS has been relentless with you. That really stinks.

It must be really difficult for you, especially with children to care for.

MY NEURO HAS NOW SWITCHED ME TO THE NEW DRUG GILENYA.
        I HAVE VERY HIGH HOPES FOR THIS ONE.
        Good luck with Gilenya - hopefully it will help you to stabilize.

TODAY WILL BE THE FIRST DAY OF MY CURRENT ATTEMPT TO GET IN BETTER PHYSICAL SHAPE--NOTHING TOO BIG, JUST GONNA GO FOR A SHORT WALK WITH MY CHILDREN. NOT GONNA GIVE UP...NOT NOW & NOT EVER.
        Good for you! I have limitations also, but I sure feel more "empowered" when I do what I can (safely and without overexerting) while engaging in some physical exercise.

THIS DISEASE JUST FLAT-OUT SUX. WE ALL EXPERIENCE IT DIFFERENTLY & TO DIFFERING DEGREES. SOMETIMES WE GET JUDGED BY OTHERS (FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND STRANGERS) BY WHAT THEY SEE & FAIL TO UNDERSTAND.
        I don't remember when it happened, but at some point during the 12 years since I've had MS, I decided that I was going to give up trying to make other people understand how MS affects me. And I am much more peaceful since I gave that up!

Now, when I choose to, (usually when others ask me to participate in an activity that I'm unable to do at the time) I'll simply state what's going on with my body - whether it's fatigue, weakness, heat intolerance, etc. and then let it go. Some will be understanding, some will sincerely want to know more about MS, and some will be skeptical.

That's people, and that's life. I'm no longer stressing about what others think, or trying to convince them about how I'm affected by MS.

Reading about other members' experiences on this site gives me all the validation I need, and I no longer expect those without MS to really and truly understand. It's a wonderful bonus, though, when someone does understand!

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
        X