Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly diagnosed after a long freaked out path on March 18.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed after a long freaked out path on March 18.

I went to my eye doctor thinking I needed new glasses due to having problems with vision (right eye had black spot and left eye had a blurry section), eye pain, and severe headaches. He does his examines and there is nothing wrong with my eyes to be doing this. He sent me to a neuro opthamologist who wants a MRI because he is suspects that I may have had a stroke or thyroid eye syndrome. I go back to him and he has good news. No I didnt have a stroke nor do I have thyroid eye syndrome but have I ever considered having MS? Uh no. lol Now for the bad news. You have a lesion that is abnormal and you may have a brain tumor or you have cancer spreading from another part of the body to your brain. It is about the size of a golf ball.

I get sent to a neurologist and a neurosurgeon. The surgeon has another MRI run because he doesnt want to drill in my head unneccesarily. Thank goodness he wanted another MRI. I have the MRI on monday and have neurologist appt on tuesday am. In a 6 week period I had developed 3 new lesions on my brain. neuro tells me I am going directly from his office to hospital bed. He tells me he is going to run more test in the hospital and start IV steroids on me. The test show I dont have a brain tumor and the golf ball went down in size and that I do not have cancer. However, the IV steroids, while rare in pediatrics the cardiologist tells me, slowed my heart rate down to the 30's.

My neurologist tells me I have a very aggressive form of MS and if he cant get it under control he gives me two years. This freaked out trip started in Feb. I just thought I needed glasses. Im confused, happy (I dont have all that other stuff but rethinking that now), angry, depressed, and numb. I have started on Copaxone. Holy mother of all that is alive. That shot freaking hurts. I cry for about an hour due to the shot. Its like being injected with liquid fire, the throbbing feels like Im being stabbed with a knife thats on fire. My neuro says take benadryl and ibuprofen 30 min before the shot. Shared Solutions said this is normal (I called several times) and I tried the tips and suggestions from the material and the MS nurse. It hasnt helped. I have gotten everything in order in case the toe tag that the dr can see is right. I did finally get my new glasses. They rock! lol

***Message broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Some of our members have vision problems with large blocks of type.***

Welcome to MS World;
    Sorry about your diagnoses but you have come to the right place, it sounds like you are going to have a lot of questions and you are at the right place for that.

I am confused by what your doctor meant by saying he is giving you 2 years. 2 years for what? makes it sound like you are dieing and that is not so.

I say fire away with questions and get some answers, you will pleased with the amount of knowledge this board holds, it has answerd so many of my questions and has put many myths to thier death bed. Well anyways welcome aboard.
    Dave

Comment

Hi shellyd

Welcome to the forums.

I get sent to a neurologist and a neurosurgeon. The surgeon has another MRI run because he doesnt want to drill in my head unneccesarily. Thank goodness he wanted another MRI. I have the MRI on monday and have neurologist appt on tuesday am. In a 6 week period I had developed 3 new lesions on my brain. neuro tells me I am going directly from his office to hospital bed. He tells me he is going to run more test in the hospital and start IV steroids on me. The test show I dont have a brain tumor and the golf ball went down in size and that I do not have cancer. However, the IV steroids, while rare in pediatrics the cardiologist tells me, slowed my heart rate down to the 30's.
      Gosh yes - thank goodness the surgeon wanted to see another MRI before doing unnecessary brain surgery!

My neurologist tells me I have a very aggressive form of MS and if he cant get it under control he gives me two years.
      I'm sorry to learn that you have a very aggressive form of MS. Hopefully the progression will slow down. MS is very unpredictable, so you just never know. Keep hopeful if possible (it feels better than despair).

Im confused, happy (I dont have all that other stuff but rethinking that now), angry, depressed, and numb.
      I think most of us would have the wide range of emotions that you have, especially upon hearing what your neuro told you. That would be extremely difficult to hear.

It sounds like you and Copaxone are not getting along too well. Would you consider taking a different DMD? It might be a good idea to ask your neuro if you could try something else.

In any case, we're glad you found us here at MS World. Feel free to ask questions, and share you concerns.

Hope to be seeing you around here!

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am confused by what your doctor meant by saying he is giving you 2 years. 2 years for what? makes it sound like you are dieing and that is not so.
        No Im not dying but would be demented and bedridden.

Comment

It sounds like you and Copaxone are not getting along too well. Would you consider taking a different DMD? It might be a good idea to ask your neuro if you could try something else.
          We have talked about avenox, betasarons, and Tysarbi. I go back June 24. He told me to research them and we can talk about it then.

Comment

Hi Shelly,

I put the responses you quoted inside quotation boxes to make it clear who's talking, you or other posters.

To quote another poster, click on the "Quote" box in the lower righthand corner of that person's post. You will get a box to reply in, with the quoted material at the top.

Comment

Working...
            X