New to the Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Site

Last February I was totally numb on my left side. Went to see my Internal Med Dr. Sent me to Neurologist, found out I had Transverse Myalitis.(Inflammation of Spinal Cord). Did Lumbar punc, tested positive for MS. Was Finally diagnoised with full blown MS in June, a year ago.
    I have an 8 year old daughter, and will be married for 2 years in August to a wonderful man that I had previously dated 6 years ago. I can not work a full time job anymore, I can not handle the heat, (I live in South Mississippi) and do the things I loved to do outdoors. I am having a VERY HARD TIME ACCEPTING that I MS!!! I am looking for some people that are going through, or have gone through what I am.

Welcome.

At least you know what you are dealing with now?

My Dx process was similar but my right side went numb first.

It has taken a long time but it is getting easier to come to grips with it.

You should be able to find lots of similar stories and people here.

I hope you find some help here.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks tommylee, I hope so! I am having a hard time with it. It is affecting my relationship with my DH.

Comment

Hi Nancy

Sorry you have to be here but it's wonderful that you came! Nice to meet you.

I get left side numbness but usually only on my arm, fingers and face.

As Tommylee said, it's good that you at least know what you're dealing with now?

Come vent, scream, laugh and cry with us. I have found so many great people here and some fabulous information. I come a lot. Sometimes I just scan the boards and sometimes I can't resist sticking my two cents in.

Comment

Hello Nancy

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

I can not work a full time job anymore, I can not handle the heat, (I live in South Mississippi) and do the things I loved to do outdoors. I am having a VERY HARD TIME ACCEPTING that I MS!!! I am looking for some people that are going through, or have gone through what I am.
          You're at the right place - many of our members are going through similar challenges with MS.

I can really relate on a personal level, as I can no longer work (retired on disability 7 years ago), am very much heat intolerant, and unable to do many activities outdoors that I used to.

The difference is that I have lived with MS for 12 years, so I have had much more time to "practice" living with the challenges. It can take some time to learn how to adapt and learn to do things differently.

Not saying that I like any of this. And I still have some very frustrating times. But it's a little easier when I take each new day as it comes, one day at a time.

MS is a crummy disease, for sure. It helps to try and focus on what we are able to do. We can only play with the hand we are dealt, right? (to use a card playing analogy)

I'm sure that you will benefit from the helpful information that is found in the various forums. Assistive Devices, Occupational Therapy, Relationships, Nutrition, Medications, and more.

If you have any questions, just ask and we'll be glad to help if we can!

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hugs Nancy

I am a fellow newbie, the folks here are amazing. They have lots of information and they are incredibly kind and supportive. There is a chat room also, I tried it last night and it was wonderful. And I agree with one of the previous posts, one day at a time. its a good way to go. Meet each day with a grin and get through those challenges, because you can. Because we are brave and we are strong. Lean on these people here, and we can get through anything...HUGS!!!

Comment

I too am newly diagnosed although, I have had symptoms for the past 10 years. Give yourself and your partner time to adjust to this news. Be patient with each other. I was very angry for a couple of weeks until I realized that being angry didn't mean I didn't have MS. Crying, kicking, screaming, denial...doesn't change the diagnosis. Now, I am on a mission to find ways to get around each of my challenges.

Comment

Working...
              X