WHAT is going ON HERE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT is going ON HERE?

Words in postings/thread and even text boxes not part of a thread itself are appearing in ORANGE with a DOUBLE UNDERLINE and if you mouse over them at all for any reason or no reason a popup ad appears.

Is this part of the "new and improved" MS world to be?

Gmer

Hi Gomer~ could you be more specific as to where this is happening? For now, I can't see where you are talking about. Once I know, I will ask around and find out what's the problem!!! Thanks for reporting this. Sounds like this shouldn't be happening!!! In the meantime I'm moving this thread to Tech forum so it won't get lost!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Seasha

I put it in general Q&A so it would be seen by more users.

I have seen this on another board, I hate it because it has the same thing. Selected WORDS in postings get changed to another color w/double underline and link to or cause a commercial popup. These pop-ups bypass my web popup blocker and I find them very annoying. It's NOT something the poster did or intended, its something apparently PROGRAMMED into the site, or some sort of virus/malware.

I even do not use DiabetesForum (green text w/double underline), Yahoo, YouTube etc as much anymore due to all the obtrusive commercials. A little discrete advertising is one thing but it has become a situation you can not do anything without being endlessly bombarded with some political ad, snake oil sales or other pitch.

Gomer

Comment

Gomer,

I am looking in to this now. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
        Ashley Ringstaff
        Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

They make it look like/disguised as a relevant link but its ADVERTISING instead. ie a poster wrote the words "The general" doc blah blah blah. in their text body brings up and add for the like named CAR INSURANCE.

GMER

Comment

Gomer,

I have e-mailed you about this...
            Could you please check your e-mail and get back to me so we can get this under control...

Thank You,
            Ashley
            Ashley Ringstaff
            Ringer1319/RingpOP
            MSWorld Volunteer
            Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

Gomer,

You may have adware on your computer? Orange underlined links is a form of adware that underlines words and phrases in the web pages you are viewing and makes them clickable links which lead to advertisements. If you see orange underlined text links or orange double-underlined text links on web pages you are visiting, it may be because you have adware on your computer. You may want to run a scan with your anti-virus software on your computer.

Links to random ads are not something that MSWorld has placed on the website. Sorry you are having trouble, please let me know if this helps.
              Thanks

Kara Friesen/living.a.new.journey/LiveOP
              Content Management Team
              Tech. Support Team
              MSWorld Express Editor
              ~KARA~

Comment

I've had really good luck over the last two years using a program called CCleaner (from Piriform). Just google "ccleaner piriform" and you should find the main site to download it.

I'll run a scan once a month or so and clean out all the cookies I don't want (some cookies you might want so you should learn how to select them so they aren't removed). BTW, its freeware.

Comment

OK...........
                  Bob I downloaded and ran CCleaner twice!

I still get the orange lettering and double underline........
                  Nothing changed MSworld, still get the orange double underline and pop-ups. I also tested diabetesforum and it still pops up on the green text there.

Gmer

Comment

Played with CCleaner some more, ran it ac couple more times.

I THINK? its fixed?????

Gmer

Comment

You got hit by some adware/malware. It happens to the best of us.

I run a combo of AVG antivirus and CCleaner and that nails most of it.

Comment

It's still happening here........

On a couple other forum web sites its NOT happening.

Weird????????

Gmer

Comment

Jeez, I almost forgot this..
                          Whenever you get one of those "you need to update our software NOW" messages for your PC, always be sure to read the fine print before you hit "OK".
                          Specifically, make sure you uncheck that innocent little blurb that says "this will add the XYZ PIA* filter to your brouser". There are a couple of big software companies that pull this stuff on a routine basis (and you know who you are..).

*- Not the real names, but be careful whenever a video driver update wants to add software to stuff that isn't related to your video card.

Comment

Working...
                          X