Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally

Well I didn't say anything here before now. I have been trying for several years to get Social Security Disability Insurance. I had a hearing for it in October 2019. That didn't go in my favor.
    Once we got the results from that hearing we went with different people to get the help we needed. We got a new lawyer and filed for them to reconsider the application.
    Well they say on it from about October 2020 to April 20, 2023.
    We learned that during the running around everyone was doing trying to get this done that my file was on someone's desk who was no longer working due to COVID-19.
    When we finally got to the hearing it was done over the phone. I was in a room by myself at my cousin who helped me with this's house.
    The judge said after the hearing that he was going rule in my favor and he said that he was putting the date back to October 2019. If they do that then I am due payments from March 2020 to present.
    A friend of mine who has PPMS told me that after the judge decides it goes back to Social Security and then the Department of Labor to determine disability date.
    As I checked on the SSA website today the claim is in step 4 of 5. It says that someone from a Social Security office is looking at it. It is not the office I usually used but I was sent there and Dr offices in that town.
    So now I am just hoping I will finally get what I earned.

I hope so too, lukeduke! I really don't understand the judges decision having the money going back to SS (from what your friend said), but maybe someone can clarify that. I believe you certainly deserve all that is owing to you. Keep us informed.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good to hear that it was successful. I know in my hearing, the judge determined it should be backdated, but the actual back date was determined by the SSDI office. They looked at my last employment date and application to SSDI.

Hopefully if backdated enough, you will then be already qualified for Medicare since the waiting period would then be met.

Hopefully it resolves soon for you.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Congratulations on the approval! As your attorney may have already told you, it's rare for the local office to modify the onset date approved by the Administrative Law Judge, so your benefits should be backdated. Although I have no doubt the wait was challenging, I'm very happy to hear that the SSA was able to understand your limitations.
        Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Well I just checked today on the Social Security website and finally after almost three months the Social Security Administration is agreeing with what the judge said in April. They decided on the day that I would have received my monthly payment if they had been doing what they were supposed to do.

Comment

Good to hear - congrats! I hope that means you will get your award, backpay, and Medicare card soon!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

They didn't change the onset date from what the judge said. Now I am getting three years of back pay.
              That means I will be able to get a new bank account and a newish ride.

Comment

Working...
              X