Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is one's spouse's income considered when awarding disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is one's spouse's income considered when awarding disability?

That's my only question. Thanks!

Hi thisiswater~

If you are taking about SSDI (disability income), you're spouse's income won't affect you as there is no income limits. http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/top...disability.htm

However, when applying for SSI, it takes the income of both partners to determine your eligibility for a need-based income. Read up more here for questions about SSI http://www.ssdrc.com/5-57.html
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I know these questions are supposed to be answered by Rich, but he doesn't post very often anymore.

In in my experience:

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is awarded based on evidence of disability and is calculated based on only the claimant's income. A spouse's income is not considered at all. There is a calculator on the SSA website that will tell you how much your benefit would be.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a different program, and eligibility is calculated based on family income. It is intended for people with low incomes who have not worked enough to qualify for SSDI.

Long Term Disability (LTD) is private or group insurance and does not consider the spouse's income.

Comment

Yes it seems Rich does not read/answer very often.

So it's good IMO that we all offer our experiences to help each other out. I've been thru multiple DMTs and thru STD/LTD/SSDI applications and approvals and I am always willing to share info as others do.

Comment

Yes; I would agree with the above posters.

SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) and SSI (Social Security Income) are both based on disability. They are both government programs.
          For SSDI, you need to have paid income tax and worked for enough quarters (40 quarters; the equivalent of 10 years) to qualify. There are no income requirements.
          For SSI, the income of your household is considered.

Some people qualify for one or the other. Other people qualify for both.

LTD (Long term disability) is an employee benefit provided by some employers. It is based on disability and not on your income or your spouse's income.

Personally, I qualify for SSDI and LTD. My husband's income is too high for us to qualify for SSI. The amount of LTD I currently receive is their minimum ($100 per month) because I am receiving SSDI. My LTD benefit counts the years that I am receiving SSDI the same as if I had been working for these years. I worked for 10 years for that company prior to going on SSDI and I was vested. When I reach age 61, they will consider that I worked for them for 25 years, if they add the 10 years of employment to the 25 of disability and, instead of receiving LTD, it will convert to receiving my employee retirement benefit instead.

I'll need to wait until I reach the federal age of retirement before my SSDI will convert to Social Security Retirement, but the amount will not change.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X