DPHHS aldult protective services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPHHS aldult protective services

Yesterday, I got a knock on my door. Some "well meaning" person wants me put in a long term care facility.

I was told I was going to receive unannounced visits to determine my eligibility to live alone. What's next? Is this like when someone calls to take away someone's children?

I am determined to stay out of a nursing home not matter what. If I move out of state will I be safe? Or if I cross the border into Canada?

This is a form of incarceration no matter how they try to disguise it,

What can I do?

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
    Yesterday, I got a knock on my door. Some "well meaning" person wants me put in a long term care facility.

I was told I was going to receive unannounced visits to determine my eligibility to live alone. What's next? Is this like when someone calls to take away someone's children?

I am determined to stay out of a nursing home not matter what. If I move out of state will I be safe? Or if I cross the border into Canada?

This is a form of incarceration no matter how they try to disguise it,

What can I do?
    Hi palmtree

I'm sorry for what you are going through.

If it wasn't for my sister coming over to help me (getting my groceries, doing my laundry, taking the trash out, etc) I might be in the same predicament as you are.

Is there anyone that would be willing to come over and help you with some things, so you can remain at home?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

are you eligible, or do you have any outside help? I rely on my aides to do all of my light housekeeping as well as taking care of all of my needs. I do not know if you are eligible for any help. I get all of my help through Medicaid. Like someone once said, "when you have MS you learn that humility takes on a new meaning". Please keep us up to date on this
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Well, I'm not eligible for Medicaid because my Social Security payment is too high and if you have Medicare in my state that disqualifies you. They signed me up for the Medically Needy Program. I got this giant pink bill for half of my monthly income.

Long before I found out I had MS I was studying those different programs. I read about the Medically Needy one and it sounded like the most ridiculous thing you could imagine. The states takes more than you get.

Fortunately I'm still managing to do private pay. I have a girl with a masters degree in social work come every other day to do cleaning and get groceries. She works as a counselor at a high school so she has a good head on her shoulders. And for the other days and bringing me to doctor's appointments I have a college student. Both are terrific people.

What I wonder is how to get DPHHS off my back. Whoever called either doesn't know what difficulty these agencies can cause or they want me to move. They refused to tell me who did it. When someone calls Child Pretective Services they reveal who the caller was. Why is this different with Adult Protective Services? Adults are adults and should be treated as such.

Can I walk straight? No
        Can I talk without slurring my speech? No
        Do I forget things? Yes
        But I'm not an invalid or an idiot. I can still read and write and reason in 2 languages

What if they knock on my door at the most inoportune time? I like my privacy. I just was to run.

Comment

Hi palmtree

What I wonder is how to get DPHHS off my back.
          In your first post you said that the unannounced visits were to 'determine your ability to live alone'.

I would certainly find out what that means, and most importantly, exactly what they are looking for in order to make that determination. I'm sure there must be criteria for that.

Take Care
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am so grateful to God that my mind is still alert, I have an education and access to the internet.

We have rights. I called the ACLU. They put me in touch with a disability rights organization who has attorneys. I called. A young attorney answered the phone, spoke to me at length about my situation, took down my number and told me she would research this and call me back.

It was so nice to have someone understand it brought me to tears.

An hour later she calls me back. Told me exactly what to do.

Call the APS supervisor, tell them that you have consulted an attorney and understand that you have the right to refuse services. She said it is important to use their own language.

It worked. ¡Problema resuelto!

For anyone in this situation, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICES

(I would like to make this a sticky)

Comment

I am so grateful to God that my mind is still alert, I have an education and access to the internet.

We have rights. I called the ACLU. They put me in touch with a disability rights organization who has attorneys. I called. A young attorney answered the phone, spoke to me at length about my situation, took down my number and told me she would research this and call me back.

It was so nice to have someone understand it brought me to tears.

An hour later she calls me back. Told me exactly what to do.

Call the APS supervisor, tell them that you have consulted an attorney and understand that you have the right to refuse services. She said it is important to use their own language.

It worked. ¡Problema resuelto!

For anyone in this situation, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICES

(I would like to make this a sticky)
              palmtree

Thanks for the update.

Glad to know that this situation worked out for you, with assistance from the disability rights organization.

Take Care

Comment

Thanks, KoKo. I hope this can be helpful to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation.

Comment

Gracias por saber que problema es masculino

Comment

Working...
                  X