disability results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disability results

I started with filing the application online but got so confused I made an appointment with my local SSA office. There the agent helped me complete the application, made copies of all records I took in with me, that were important to turn in with application. Not using an attorney, I kept ALL medical records from the time of the diagnosis, obvious changes with me, from husband, family, friends, employer, ANYTHING that proved my MS symptoms were real. The records I didn't have or needed that were requested in the application worksheet, I went and requested the records myself. It took ALOT of time and leg work, but after filing and waiting 8 months I was approved. I then received my first direct deposit, with 5 months back pay. It's tough and takes some work, but it is possible without the cost of an attorney. Just think of it as preparing your taxes each year, dreading it most of the time, but you have to do it!

Yes, I did it by myself too. It took about the same amount of time and I was also approved with backpay. Dr neuro told me I was one of 40% that gets approved without legal help... it's a dubious compliment isn't it? My brain is mush. My body is crapped out and I proved it without a lawyer.
    Karen

Comment

Congrats to both of you. I am so glad it worked for you.

It is possible to get approved the first time without a lawyer. But for a lot of us, it doesn't work even with detailed records and the appeal process is a long drawn out process, which means no income.

If you meet the SSDI disability requirements for MS, you should be approved. If not, There are some factors that improve your chances of approval:

1. Closer to retirement age
      2. Per SSDI criteria grid, not having transferrable skills ( this is based on education level, physical/sedentary work experience, among other items).
      3. Cognitive impairment with documented change of IQ of 15 points or more and not capable of physical work.

If you don't meet the MS criteria listing, I personally would recommend the lawyer route. I waited over 16 months for appeal after the initial denial,which was successful. My long, consistent, detailed medical records were a supporting factor. The attorney's questionnaires to my doctors to illustrate disability were important.

I had good statements from my boss on work impact, had statements from family and close friends on impact, and my own statement in original application, along with medical documentation.

The judge felt I should not have been put in the position I was, as my records were sufficient to document my disability, my attempts to remain working, and my inability to consistently work full time. I did not meet the MS criteria alone, but combined with other factors, meet overall SSDI.

But the SSDI initial review approval rate is low and falling. So unless pretty clearcut, or you can afford to be without income, I would get an attorney.

But I am not an expert, just sharing my experience.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I also completed my application without the assistance of an attorney. As stated by others, it was a lot of work. My husband was very helpful in bouncing things off of and helping me to remember and think of important facts to include.

I was approved in 3 months, so had to wait the additional two months to receive my first payment, since my approval came through prior to the 5 month waiting period was over.

It's good for others to be aware that it's possible to complete this task by ourselves.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Apologies, don't want to discourage anyone from filing alone. Just to make sure you understand medically what is needed and if questionable whether you meet listing criteria, talk to someone. Ask all the questions you need to.
          Kathy

Comment

I think a lot also has to do with the State you are in. My father had ALS and lost the ability to speak and was initially denied disability in this state. It took him 10 months which considering that he died from ALS 18 months after applying is pretty sad.

Not saying don't try on your own but check your states approval rates. Not to be political here but I'm betting those who were successful on their own are not in red states.
            Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post
              Not saying don't try on your own but check your states approval rates. Not to be political here but I'm betting those who were successful on their own are not in red states.
              Interesting comment ... I'm in a purple state
              Karen

Comment

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post

I'm in a red state. Got approved, with no attorney and no denials, within 3 months. And, I'm one of those who "looks so good". No obvious disabilities when you look at me.

I guess that the 3 jobs I lost in 6 years, my 7 MRI's, my 3 years of needing to apply for FMLA at work, my multiple ER and hospital visits and the recommendations of 3 doctors spoke for themselves.

One site said that 65% of applications are denied the first time, and that Kansas has the 3rd highest rate of denial in the US. If I'd known that, prior to applying, I could have been discouraged. But, my experience shows that, if you have the documentation to back up your application, you can also be successful.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug,

I am glad for you and I didn't say it couldn't happen. However my father with ALS mind you not MS got denied. He had tons of documentation, he literally could not speak any longer due to ALS, by the time he got the denial he was in a powered wheelchair, he had everything and every proof needed but he still got denied. Yes they reviewed and fast tracked it and he got approved on appeal 4 months later. My MIL in the same state got denied and she has been legally blind since age 14. It took her 2 years to get approval. My FIL however also blind was approved first go. I've been waiting 2.5 years and my hearing is in March. There does not seem to be much rhyme or reason.

I'm the only one of the 4 of us to use a lawyer I was pretty much told that being young and having owned my own business they would try and tell me I could retrain easily which is exactly what both denials said so I engaged a lawyer very reluctantly. I'm not happy to be paying 6k but I would rather pay and be approved than not pay and have to start all over.
                  Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Cognitive Testing

SSDI has scheduled me for a cognitive test, Has anyone had this and if so what can I expect? I am told it can take 4 to 6 hours?

I cant imagine what they would test on for 4 hours, wonder what they would say when I need a nap halfway through.

Would appreciate any input...

Thanks!

Comment

neuro psych eval

neurologic psychological evaluation is what the testing is called.

And, yes, it can take that long or a little longer. If it does take that long, they usually give you a lonch break or divide it into two days. Depending on the practitioner.

It is a gambit of testing, testing memory, speed, and recall.

These are some of the ones I remember from 3-4 years ago:

count back from 100 by 3's
                      they give you three words, do other testing/questions, then ask you them three words
                      see a picture and recreate that picture/form from black and white blocks
                      they read you a story and you recall the story as much as you can
                      they show you a picture of several objects and you redraw them objects in the position on the paper that you saw them
                      a tray of items, look at that tray and recall them a minute later
                      a speed test on the computer to see how fast you can respond to what you see on the computer
                      a series of questions checking your mindset (testing for depression and if you have ever anticipated suicide)
                      synonyms
                      and there is a multitude of tests, that would do you no good to memorize or study for, or stress about.

I had two of them done and both were consistent with the tests they performed. They can adjust it to your level of education. I have some Masters level of education, and there was questions that were geared toward my profession and level of education. Another nurse, that I know, who did not have as high of education did not have the same level of questions, but, where geared toward the healthcare industry.
                      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

cognitive test

Originally posted by rufuss View Post
                        SSDI has scheduled me for a cognitive test, Has anyone had this and if so what can I expect? I am told it can take 4 to 6 hours?

I cant imagine what they would test on for 4 hours, wonder what they would say when I need a nap halfway through.

Thanks!
                        Maybe I got lucky or the doctor was in a hurry, but I was in and out in about 30 minutes...altho they told me too it would take several hours!

Comment

Originally posted by rufuss View Post

Thanks!
                          My experience was similar to kelm10's. I left feeling wiped out, so if an option, you may want to have someone drive for you.

The testing is designed to measure multiple things, like processing speed, executive functioning, spatial relationships, general IQ, etc...

I like puzzles, so some of it actually seemed fun. As for the nap, my results actually indicated fatigue was a factor.

Do the best you can on it. Some people try to influence the results and purposely slow responses or make errors. What they don't realize is that various parts of the tests are related and neuropsychs are trained to look for this. If results are inconsistent and not due to typical fatigue factor, they can conclude someone is malingering and trying to influence the results.

Good luck. Do what you can. Don't stress too much.
                          Kathy

Comment

I would love to have this done. When I went in for an "evaluation" they gave me 4 things asked me a couple min later and I could remember 3 of them and that was the end of the neurocog testing. Since the appointment was in the morning I was at my best so it seemed pretty stupid to do 1 neurocog test and call me fine.

I don't know maybe there is a job where I can get paid for remembering 75% of things for 5 min and not having to do anything else all day. If so please someone tell me where

Comment

Working...
                            X