No announcement yet.

Changing checking account (direct deposit) and receiving reward SSI reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing checking account (direct deposit) and receiving reward SSI reporting

I am a SSI recipient and recently moved (same City & state Phoenix AZ)

The bank just down the street is offering 300$ to switch my direct deposit checking account to them.

I'd like to do it but what are my reporting requirements and how much money will SSA let me keep?

Have you checked the website for social security? I am not familiar with SSI at all. Wish I could be more help.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I believe that you are required to report any earned or unearned income, so you will need to report it. Your resources can't be more than $2000.

And, yes, I expect they will deduct some of those earnings off of your next check. The Social Security Administration figures your federal SSI benefit by deducting your countable unearned income and your countable earned income from the maximum Federal Benefit Amount of $733 for individuals and $1,100 for a couple. I think that you get to keep all but $20 of your unearned income, the way I understand their website, but that almost seems too good to be true, so I might not be understanding it accurately. Here's their website, and you can also call them and ask. They have a toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213.

http://www.disabilityadvisor.com/ssi-application-form/

Oh. I just noticed this is posted in Rich's Social Security Disability Questions forum. I should have just let it alone and allowed him to resond. He'll know the right answer.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Oh. I just noticed this is posted in Rich's Social Security Disability Questions forum. I should have just let it alone and allowed him to resond. He'll know the right answer.
        Sadly, it doesn't really matter if he knows the right answer. He only shows up 2 or 3 times a year. Virtually no one ever gets their questions answered. The members of MSWorld deserve better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
          Sadly, it doesn't really matter if he knows the right answer. He only shows up 2 or 3 times a year. Virtually no one ever gets their questions answered. The members of MSWorld deserve better than that.
          I don't come to this forum often. Rich used to reply approximately once a week; I hadn't realized it was less frequently now. However, he is a volunteer, just like the moderators are. He had the right to decide what amount of time he is willing and able to contribute.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by renegade44e View Post
            I am a SSI recipient and recently moved (same City & state Phoenix AZ)

The bank just down the street is offering 300$ to switch my direct deposit checking account to them.

I'd like to do it but what are my reporting requirements and how much money will SSA let me keep?
            Update the money is considered interest income by the bank is reported on a 1099-int

Comment

Originally posted by renegade44e View Post
              Update the money is considered interest income by the bank is reported on a 1099-int
              Called SSA, guy seemed totally clueless but seemed to think it wasn't reportable. Didn't try to report anything since I won't get it until March 10th at the earliest. Said there was no form to to report it, either. If they do say "don't worry about it' I intend to write a "Memo for the record" documenting the call. Hope I get someone as clueless as this guy again ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X