SSDI and Medicare Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI and Medicare Question

I remember a thread about making sure to do something with Medicare when awarded, even if not needed or you will have trouble later when it is.

I have insurance thru my husband but want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Thanks ... So confused.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Kathy - I have Medicare and my husband still works. I have Part B that I signed up for when I was awarded, but my husband's health insurance is my primary and medicare is my secondary coverage.

You should read this for clarification - https://www.socialsecurity.gov/hlp/i...078-partb2.htm

"If you don’t enroll in Medicare Part B and then decide to enroll later, your coverage may not start right away and you may also have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have it. Your monthly premium will go up 10 percent for each 12-month period you were eligible for Part B, but didn’t sign up for it.

Most people who don’t sign up for Part B when first eligible can only enroll between January 1 and March 31 each year, with coverage starting on July 1 and you may have to pay a higher monthly premium. Some people may qualify for a limited “Special Enrollment Period” to enroll in Part B."
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Here's some additional information, but, sometimes, it's difficult to understand it all. If you don't want to mess up, call the toll-free Medicare number at the bottom of my post (1-800-633-4227) and have them clarify it for you.

1. Seasha's link also includes this information:

Some people may qualify for a limited “Special Enrollment Period” to enroll in Part B.
      You can sign up for Part B without a late enrollment penalty if one of these statements applies to you:
      • You are 65 or older, you or your spouse is currently working, and you are covered by an employer or union group health plan based on that employment.
      • You are under 65 and disabled, you or a family member is working, and you are covered by an employer or union group health plan (with at least 100 employees) based on that employment.

2. For more information about special enrollment, check out this link:
      http://www.ehealthmedicare.com/about...al-enrollment/
      • People who receive Social Security disability benefits and are covered under a group health plan, from either their own or a family member's current employment, also have a Medicare Special Enrollment Period. For more information on situations that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period, contact Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), 24 hours a day, seven days a week; TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.

I have free Medicare Part A and my husband's employer coverage, which we purchase. I have deferred Medicare Part B, and i contacted them, at the time. I don't expect to have to pay any penalty when I decided to enroll in it.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks Faith. I will give a call. Appreciate the info you provided. I just want to make sure I understand the penalty provision. It sounds like I shouldn't have to worry about it in 5-7 years when my husband retires. But really need to make sure.
        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Thanks Faith. I will give a call. Appreciate the info you provided. I just want to make sure I understand the penalty provision. It sounds like I shouldn't have to worry about it in 5-7 years when my husband retires. But really need to make sure.
          You're welcome, Kathy.

I'd recommend just calling to make sure everything will be OK. Seems like I might have needed to provide documentation of my medical coverage, or something, but I really don't remember for sure, and the link doesn't seem to spell things out very clearly, IMO.

Please let us know how things turn out and what you need to do to qualify for special enrollment, so the late enrollment fee and the Jan through March enrollment dates won't apply to you. It might even be a good plan for us to post a sticky regarding special enrollment, when we know more about it.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

As I understand it, once I receive my Medicare card with Parts A and B on it(by default), I have 15 days to return it, reject part B, provide proof of other insurance. They will then send new Medicare card with Part A only on it. Once my other insurance stops, I can then enroll in Part B with no penalty.

I don't have card yet, but will be on the lookout.
            Kathy

Comment

Thanks for the update. After reading your post, I attempted to find a .gov link to that effect, so we could post it as a sticky for others, but I was unable to locate one that spells things out very well. Fifteen days is not very long; it would be important for others to be aware of that.

I found something here, but it doesn't say anything about the 15 days. https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...#collapse-3201
              I’m under 65, have a disability, get disability benefits, and am covered under my spouse’s (or family member's) group health plan coverage. How can I enroll in Part A only?
              You should get the "Initial Enrollment Package" that includes your Medicare card about 3 months before your 65th birthday. If you don't want Part B, follow the instructions that come with the card. If you're covered under your working spouse's (or family member's) employer large group health plan (the employer has at least 100 employees), you may want to delay enrolling in Part B.
              A family member includes domestic (or life) partner, as long as you have large group health plan coverage through your partner’s current employer.
              I'm just sort of thinking out loud, as I consider whether this is a sticky that I should request.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I agree with a sticky if you can coordinate.

My SSDI was just approved last month retro to Aug 2015 so my understanding is I will be eligible in 2 years. For now I'm eligible under LTD with my prior employer for a pretty good plan that I was on when I was still an active employee.

I'm sure I'll be lost and looking for help then.

Comment

There actually is a sticky started by Rich on the topic. But it doesn't cover opting out of party B without future penalty.

The 15 days is what I was told when I called. I guess it will be in the instruction letter I get when the card comes. I will see if I can find more. If not, when the letter comes, I will scan after whiting out sensitive info if that helps.
                  Kathy

Comment

Thanks, pennstater. I added a comment to Rich's sticky. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...llment-Penalty

When this question comes up again, we can refer others to this sticky.

If there is a better link or better way to get the info out, please give me your suggestions and I can consider editing my post.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                    X