Disability application and attempt to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability application and attempt to work

Hello. I am 52 yrs old and I've been off work since September of last year with vertigo. I also have cognitive issues that are declining according to my recent neuropsyc test. I am now in the application process of SSDI which I started in October.

I started feeling better in January from the vertigo which I've had long episodes of for the last 5 years. I was THINKING about attempting to go back to work, although I know how unpredictable MS can be.

I spoke with Allsup and they said that SSDI would monitor me to see how often I called out etc. and that I would have to send in name, phone number adress,name of supervisor of where I worked if I wanted to continue my claim and SS wouldn't hold it against me.
    My profession was a hairstylist but I could no longer do that.
    I have worked part time as a substitute teacher for the last 13 years with this disease and they know nothing about it and I did not want them to know. Plus they don't keep up with all of that. That's not how substitute teaching works.

I've already signed a form saying I didn't want them contacting my work

My question is,could you give me a little more information on how this works?
    Thanks

Returning to work while claim is pending - potentially problematic

Hi, meissie47; thanks for your post.

I am not sure what you mean that "SS wouldn't hold it against me."

Usually when one files a claim for benefits, one consents to SSA being allowed to contact your employers so I am not sure which form you signed indicating that you would not allow such communication. In my experience, by the way, SSA rarely contacts employers anyway.

The real issues concern when you would return to work and how much you would be earning. If you return to work at the SGA level within 12 months of the date you alleged your disability commenced, that could prevent one from establishing that onset date or prevent one from receiving benefits. This is an issue that you should discuss with an attorney because the return to work rules are a bit involved.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X