Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens at age 65, if your on SSDI now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens at age 65, if your on SSDI now?

I have been on Social Security Disability since 2014 at the age of 58. What happens when I turn 65 in 2021. I know it's a long-ways away at this time and rules can change, but it's never to early to start preparing my self for that time. Thank You.

Nothing Really

Typing really changes when you turn 65. The monthly payment amount that you are currently receiving will not change. You do not need to make any plans for the future in this area.

Comment

theledgenlc

Thanks for the info, I was afraid the payments would decrease once you switched over from SSDI to regular SS.

Comment

SSDI to Soc. Sec.

I was told that at age 66 (my full retirement age for Soc. sec.) it will change me over to SS automatically (same amount). I don't want to do that if I'm going to take half of my spouse's SS (which is more than mine) and I can let mine grow until age 70 and then switch back to my own. It's confusing, but worth checking in to make sure you get the best deal for you.

Comment

nkh18

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
          I was told that at age 66 (my full retirement age for Soc. sec.) it will change me over to SS automatically (same amount). I don't want to do that if I'm going to take half of my spouse's SS (which is more than mine) and I can let mine grow until age 70 and then switch back to my own. It's confusing, but worth checking in to make sure you get the best deal for you.
          Thanks for the info. I never married, so each of our dealings with SS is different, but I find the whole SS system very confusing. Since I have to meet each challenge alone, i was worried about loosing a portion of my SS when reaching my retirement age. But i got my answers from the group. One less thing to have to worry about. Thanks again.

Comment

From Disability Insurance Benefits to Retirement Benefits

Hi, ChristopherG and everyone. If you turn age 65 in 2021, your full retirement age is not age 65; your full retirement age would be 67 pursuant to http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/retirechart.html. Disability benefits are paid out of the Disability Insurance Trust Fund whereas retirement benefits, which you refer to as SS benefits, is paid from the OASI Trust Fund - Old Age and Survivor's Insurance Trust Fund. When one reaches full retirement age after being on Disability Insurance, the benefits are then paid from the OASI Trust Fund.

Regarding the comments that nkh18 made concerning strategies for maximizing benefits, check out this article on Fidelity's website. Remember, verify everything - this is only a website and information can be inaccurate - it certainly is interesting, though, and provides food for thought - https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/...ps-for-couples. There is a lot of information on the web concerning retirement planning.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
            X