Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on starting the SSDI marathon requested!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info from ChristopherG and "seconded" by thelegendlc - thanks.

I'm currently out on STD (just approved in February) and then heading towards LTD and SSDI and from my understanding it'll be the same as you state.

My LTD policy requires me to apply for SSDI as well since my LTD benefit will be reduced by the amount of SSDI benefits awarded so it makes sense that they would assist.

I'm not sure how my medical insurance will work - I hopefully will not need to purchase COBRA insurance and hoping I could go on my wife's plan thru her employer. I'm in California so not sure if any rules are different, and not of retirement age yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
      Good info from ChristopherG and "seconded" by thelegendlc - thanks.

I'm currently out on STD (just approved in February) and then heading towards LTD and SSDI and from my understanding it'll be the same as you state.

My LTD policy requires me to apply for SSDI as well since my LTD benefit will be reduced by the amount of SSDI benefits awarded so it makes sense that they would assist.

I'm not sure how my medical insurance will work - I hopefully will not need to purchase COBRA insurance and hoping I could go on my wife's plan thru her employer. I'm in California so not sure if any rules are different, and not of retirement age yet.
      I am seeing a medicare consultant Friday to see how to bridge the gap between Medicare and my current level of medical coverage (I will be 62 in June) with additional private coverage. I am also calling Gilenya to see if they can still pay for full coverage in the "Gilenya Go" program if I am on SSDI.

Gilyena and Provigil retail at $7,000 per month or $84,000 a year!

Thanks for keeping this thread "alive" everyone!

Comment

Question: Should I start a SSDI claim now, or wait three months?

I have spoken to a legal aid who works for a small firm specializing in SSDI and related cases. She has over 20 years experience and was recommended by a friend.

I have started a STD clam and I am waiting for approval.

My question: She has advised me to wait 90 days after I get STD to put in my SSDI claim. I did ask her why the 90 day wait when every resource I have checked says do it ASAP. Her reasoning is that it would be better to have already been out of work for a while before filing for SSDI. She believes I have a 60% chance getting SSDI on the first try.

What are your thoughts / experiences?

I am consulting with a larger law firm next week, to see what they say, but I want as much input as possible. The second firm was also recommended.

I am comfortable with the smaller firm, but I want the SHORTEST route to SSDI. That is job one!

Off topic:

Hope you are all well. I made it through a five mile MS Walk yesterday. I was really hurting at the end, but I did it!

Total sponsor donations this year were $1,350.
        This brings the total money raised since 2004 to $15,514 !!

Comment

All advice I've ever read or heard, both legal and word of mouth states that SSDI should be applied for immediately. If for any reason you have to appeal your SSDI claim, the approval may be retroactive to your application date and official date of meeting SSDI eligibility requirements.

SSDI in some cases is approved before the benefits waiting period has been met, meaning SSDI payments begin after the waiting period has been met. My own SSDI was approved before the 6mo waiting period, and was also coordinated with the end of benefit payments under my STD policy.

I was only interested in LTD benefits when I hired my attorney. The attorney insisted that I apply for SSDI at the same time. I'm thankful that I followed his advice, because I was denied LTD as a pre-existing condition, but qualified for SSDI immediately, with benefit payments beginning once the waiting period was met.

Hope you get quick approval and best of luck

Comment

"Hope you are all well. I made it through a five mile MS Walk yesterday. I was really hurting at the end, but I did it!

Oops, forgot to thank you for your participation in the MS Walk and the funds raised through your efforts. Congrats too for completing your walk despite the pain. As MSrs' we don't often achieve even small victories, so congrats on that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis Slim View Post
              She has advised me to wait 90 days after I get STD to put in my SSDI claim. I did ask her why the 90 day wait when every resource I have checked says do it ASAP. Her reasoning is that it would be better to have already been out of work for a while before filing for SSDI.
              Better? Better for whom in what way?

Having you wait 3 months to file for SSDI might be better for her because it can increase the amount of back pay you get (based on your claimed date of disability) that she would get a part of. More money for her. There's no benefit in it for you.

Waiting 3 months would only delay your claim by 3 months and delay your benefits by 3 months. That's in addition to months spent in appeal based on her 40% estimate that you won't be approved the first time.

Comment

SSDI

Originally posted by Memphis Slim View Post
                I have spoken to a legal aid who works for a small firm specializing in SSDI and related cases. She has over 20 years experience and was recommended by a friend.

I have started a STD clam and I am waiting for approval.

My question: She has advised me to wait 90 days after I get STD to put in my SSDI claim. I did ask her why the 90 day wait when every resource I have checked says do it ASAP. Her reasoning is that it would be better to have already been out of work for a while before filing for SSDI. She believes I have a 60% chance getting SSDI on the first try.

What are your thoughts / experiences?

I am consulting with a larger law firm next week, to see what they say, but I want as much input as possible. The second firm was also recommended.

I am comfortable with the smaller firm, but I want the SHORTEST route to SSDI. That is job one!

Off topic:

Hope you are all well. I made it through a five mile MS Walk yesterday. I was really hurting at the end, but I did it!

In my case, I went from STD to LTD. My employer LTD provider encouraged me very quickly to apply for SSDI. I imagine because my SSDI, once approved, would offset what the LTD company was paying me. Also, LTD provided an advocate for me at no charge, and I did what they told me to do, and everything went along very smoothly. The advocate kept me informed, helped me if I had questions about paperwork, etc. Actually, the advocate did most of the work. My neuro was also on very supportive, and I was around your same age. The whole process took about 4 mos. from going on STD to LTD to being approved for SSDI.

SSDI was approved within about 1 month, and two years later I was eligible for Medicare. Medicare is just okay..., but compared to what I was paying on COBRA though, it was a welcome relief. Good Luck..You should have no problem.

Comment

Update on my STD and SSDI case

It is now a few months since I started looking into STD with the long term goal SSDI.

I would STRONGLY advise anyone looking into FMLA/STD/SSDI to get assistance from a lawyer. I tried to start the ball rolling myself and for various reasons, was denied both FMLA and STD by the corporate provided private insurance company. I honestly thought the information provided by my doctors would get STD started. It is listed as a benefit by my company. I was an emotional wreck when it was denied.

I had a little trouble finding an SSDI law firm that also handled STD appeals. I hired a lawyer who was recommended by a friend and my church (independent of each other). So far, I am still in the appeal process for STD hoping that my company does not fire me, since I have not worked since May 16th officially and the cases for FMLA and STD were "closed" by the "unsurance" company.

The lawyer has run up almost $800 in bills so far, but he is being fair and he is very good.

If I have to, I can bridge the gap to SSDI approval and probable appeal, but I have to tap into my IRA to pay the bills. My wife works, which helps, but this is a REAL DRAG!

I believe the insurance company is hoping I give up, run out of money and retire on SSI, or die.

I am just venting. I do not know what else I can do but wait for STD or SSA to be approved.
                  Thanks for listening.

Comment

Working...
                  X