Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SSDI ruling changes how SSDI converts at FRA??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SSDI ruling changes how SSDI converts at FRA??

We've all probably read about the upcoming 20% cuts to SSDI benefits in 2016.

I've just come across an article at PBS news which states, previously SSDI automatically converted to SSI at full retirement age. Under the new rule - if I understand correctly - it is no longer automatic, one has to file, and in filing one loses any auxillery or excess amount. Is that correct? Also, if one is a widow, one loses the survivor provision unless one pays all of the SSDI collected back? This is all so frightening and so confusing.

Any clarification would be so greatly appreciated so one might know what to expect not just next year but at full retirement age. Thank you.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...abled-workers/

From the article at PBS link above:
    "So what did Social Security do, seemingly in the dead of night, on Dec. 23 when many Americans were preparing for Christmas? They rewrote a provision of their Program Operating Manual System (POMS). And their rewrite, which is written in as obscure a manner as ​possible, forces all disabled workers reaching full retirement to file for their retirement benefits unless they pay back every penny they ever received in disability benefits. That’s not something most disabled workers are able, let alone eager, to do."

I am really confused. If I read right, they treat application for disability as application for retirement. If that is the case, the why did congress say they can't use retirement benefits to fund disability.

I agree that this is scary. Anything to reduce payout!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

"Six weeks' of paid leave opposed by people with thirty-three weeks' paid leave" By Andy Borowitz, The New Yorker

I didn't read the article but the sentiment seems so spot on, had me chuckling with despair.

Comment

Any of us can read the 'rules change' and come up with many interpretations. There is only one way to get the 'real skinny' on these rules changes, and that is tohear them from an attorney that has experience with the SSA. Like the IRS, the SSA follows the rules that are handed down from Congress. Otherwise, all of this thread is opinion of other MSer's. Thanks for the 'heads up', but I'll wait to hear a considered opinion from one who practices this kind of law.

Comment

why

THE Real question is why people vote the way they do ???

Comment

Working...
          X