Brother trying to get SS Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother trying to get SS Disability

My older brother is about to try to get SS disability. He had Triple Bypass surgery about 4 years ago. His health has been fine since then. He took early retirement at age 62 (collects SS at about $1700/mth) but has kept working and still is working and wants to continue his current job in the same field he worked for all his life (Desk Job). Now he want's to get SS Disability.
    From the definition I read of "Disabled" by SS, I cannot see how he can qualify and why he wants SS disability is a mystery to me.

??????
    TY Tad

I am not sure I can help. SSDI has limits on income that can be earnedeach month. If he is still working and plans on continuing and surpassed this amount, then he wouldn't qualify. The income is classified as SGA, substantial gainful a tivity.

I have no idea how early retirement affects SSDI. Hopefully Rich comes along.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

To early retire or not, that is the question.

Hi, Tad and Kathy. Kathy is correct in that there are earnings limitations to qualify for disability insurance benefits. Also, even if one is not earning over the SGA level, one still has to prove that they are disabled under the law. Perhaps your brother is having second thoughts that he took early retirement at age 62 because one's early retirement benefit is 75% of the full retirement and earnings can affect the amount of early retirement benefits one receives.

If one succeeds in receiving disability benefits after going on full retirement benefits, then one's monthly benefit can be higher than an early retirement benefit. Check with SSA for your specific situation.

There's a whole "science" to deciding whether to take early retirement benefits or not, which also considers offsets on those benefits after certain earnings amounts.

See SSA's website on this and try a Google search for more information on planning for retirement. Here's SSA's website: http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/whileworking.htm

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X