Do I qualify as Ms disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I qualify as Ms disabled?

Hello. I am 51yrs of age. I know I have enough credits to qualify for SSDI. I was diagnosed with MS in 2004. I was a hairdresser for over 20 yrs. I stopped in 2005. Could no longer do the job. I have been a substitute teacher since then. have done well up until the last 4 yrs. Bouts of vertigo off and on every yr. and some moderate cognitive issues according to my neurophsyc report.

I was off for 3 months the first ime with vertigo. 2 years later 2 months. Did well last year. Now I have been off for a little over a month because of it. I have problems sleepling so I take medecation for that sometimes. Plus I am now taking the meds for vertigo which make me sluggish and tired.

My husband had been trying to get me to file since it started since the disability income is higher than the subbing. Iam afraid to file because im not sure I would be seen as disabled. I make less than 1000 per month. when I miss those opportunities to work I barely have anything coming in.

When this vertigo comes on its hard to work. Though there have been times ive pushed through it because we need the income.

My question is how severe does your Ms disability have to be?
    Thanks

I wish I had an answer for you. I lost my job in 2010. My boss said that I had memory problems, and I have been dealing with extreme fatigue almost daily. I try to control by my diet and taking suppliments. Drinking kale and taking SST powder. I have applied for disability, but have been denied. Probably because I was still trying to finish my masters degree, which I am not able to do. I'm having sever cognitive issues and memory. I have fallen several times, but cannot go to the doctor because I have no insurance.

Comment

I don't think anyone on the board will be able to answer if you are disabled. You should have this discussion with your neurologist.

My history is similar to yours. I was denied, but it is in appeal. They agreed that I could not do my job, but I could do something else. That doesn't mean it will be your outcome.

With Social security, you could probably sub, just limiting the number of days so that you make below the amount considered substantial gainful activity.

But I would start with your neuro and also ask for your medical records to start.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

If you dont mind pennstater, how long have you been in the process?

Comment

The initial application was reviewed within 2 months. I was denied at the end of March. The appeal process in the area I live in is backlogged and as told 12-14 months for appeal. So my hearing will be next spring.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I also suggest consulting with your MS doc about the unlikely prospects of returning to full-time employment with financially sustainable income based on your sx's/current level of disability.

Point out your loss of income due to MS, your fear that applying for SSDI much later will effect your benefit amount if you wait too long before applying.

Assuming he's on the same page with you and will support your application, your medical records should be up to date, neuro-psych evaluation, and any other evaluation that will support your claim based on your dx/sx's. If you haven't completed a sx diary recently, updating it could help.

Once apporved fo SSDI, sx's permitting, you can return to some type of employment within SSDI income limits, or even return to full time employment if you experience a good remission.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks. My neuro asked me last week if I was working and I told him i had not worked in a month. He asked if it was because of the symptoms and I said yes. He said you know you can come and apply for disability if you are not working for an extended period of time (whatever extended period means).

I go in tomorrow for 3 days of steroids.
              Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Thanks. My neuro asked me last week if I was working and I told him i had not worked in a month. He asked if it was because of the symptoms and I said yes. He said you know you can come and apply for disability if you are not working for an extended period of time (whatever extended period means).

I go in tomorrow for 3 days of steroids.
                Thanks for the responses.

Comment

meissie47, that's a great indication from your doc, and good to hear your MS neuro is on the front end of your MS related employment issues.

Waiting too long to apply for SSDI could jeopordize the income on which your SSDI benefit are besed, benefits based on fulltime income versus benefits based on part time income.

Best wishes going your way

Comment

Working...
                  X