Private Disability Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Disability Insurance

So through work I have private disability insurance. The criteria is the ability to do MY JOB - not any job.

My job is very demanding (on call just about 24x7) and my performance is suffering due to issues with fatigue... my MS symptoms are getting worse because I have almost no down time.

I feel like I am sitting around waiting to get let go due to poor performance (or caught up in a lay off since I am not a top performer anymore) and my husband thinks I would be way better off just going out permanently disabled.

I am so confused and upset. I really don't want to stop working - but the way my disability insurance works - it might be my best option.

Thoughts?

There are other threads related to LTD in the employment thread. Before you do, make sure you have neuro support. Have you disclosed at work to ask for any accommodations? Sometimes, they want to see accommodations were made. But then again, it could be no reasonable accommodations can be made.

I would get a copy of your LTD insurance policy and review the fine print. Some have preexisting condition exclusions, with or without a lookback period to when you started employment with the firm. So if you had MS prior to starting, or are within your first two years with the firm, you may not be covered. Likewise, if your firm changed insurance carrier, they could have some additional timeframe where not covered. As an example, my company changed insurance carriers and even though ten 8 year employee, I would not have been covered if I filed the first year the new policy was in effect.

Also, lot of policy have clause after 2 years of LTD, that you are only disabled if you can't work in any occupation (not just own) as long as you can earn X% of your current wage. Mine is 80% of current wage.
    It is really important to understand the contract, so you really need to obtain it.

I filed and was denied. Learned some things the hard way.

Hope you feel better and good luck with your decision .
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X