Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got approved

Hello All,
    I wanted to share with you all that I got approved, I didn't know about this due to I was in the hospital for my MS and I just got out. So it can happen!

-Lisa

How long did it take, Lisa?
    Seattle, WA
    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Hi,
      It took me 7 months but I did get a lawyer for it.

Comment

Did you get approved first time? Do you have to go in front of judge?

Comment

Hello I got approved my first time thank god!

Comment

Congratulations Lisa.

I was approved in 2008 after just 3 months. I didn't get an attorney, but, just documented well the ways that MS had affected my employment, including 3 related job losses in 6 years.

Also had 3 doctors (primary care provider, neurologist, psychologist) who supported my application and wrote letters of support. And, I had all my medical records sent, which included multiple hospitalizations, 7 MRI's, two weeks at Mayo Clinic, etc.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It can happen

Originally posted by lisanatali View Post
              Hello All,
              I wanted to share with you all that I got approved, I didn't know about this due to I was in the hospital for my MS and I just got out. So it can happen!

-Lisa
              Great for you Lisa! I am in the process of filing. My appt is not until 9/19 but that gives me time to have all the paperwork done. I even went by their office to pick up the packet.

I'm considering an attorney. Did u also have your Drs backing you?

-Trina
              Dx MS (RRMS) 7/14
              Dx Myastenia Gravis 8/14
              No treatment selected yet

Comment

Hello, everyone. Well, Mamabug, you were very well prepared indeed - not only with medical records, but with opinions from treating sources. It is important that the opinions from treating sources indicate whether or not you meed, or equal in severity, one of SSA's medical listings, and how your MS affects your functioning.

Rich
                Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Rich (Disability)

Hello Rich,
                  I have one more question I received my back pay for myself but what about my children? I asked my lawyer but they said they cant process for my children is this true? Or should I tell them to do it because I already paid them for myself?

Lisa

Comment

Lisa, I am not sure what your attorney meant when they said cannot "process" for your children. In a Disability Insurance claim, the claimant's child may be entitled to benefits as "auxiliary beneficiaries" if they are under age 18, or age 19 and still in high school, or disabled prior to age 22.

Rich
                    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

My SSDI back pay benefits were processed and paid to me almost immediately after my approval, but my child's benefits were released at a later date, maybe 30-60? days later.

The 'early'? release of my back pay benefits may have been based on some kind of 'compassionate' basis. I was a single parent of adopted child (no child support, exhausted STD benefits, etc.), and the need was considered urgent.

When I received my approval notice, I met with the local SSA/SSDI rep, and was issued a check by the end of the week. This was many years ago, but I received disbursement of funds based on my monthly benefit and back pay within a couple of days of approval and waited for the 'usual'? processing for my child's benefit payments.

My impression has always been that the urgent disbursement of funds was at the discression of my local
                      SSDI rep.

Comment

Expedited Payments from SSA

Thanks, MSW1963. Here is some information concerning Expedited Payments from SSA's website: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/te...edite-ussi.htm.

With regard to Emergency Advanced Payments of SSI benefits, the above page states:

EMERGENCY ADVANCE PAYMENT
                        We may be able to make an emergency advance payment to new applicants, who face a financial emergency and who are due SSI benefits that are delayed or not received. We can only pay one such advance payment. The maximum emergency advance payment you may receive is the smallest of: the SSI Federal benefit rate (plus any federally administered State supplement); the total amount of the benefits due; or the amount requested for the financial emergency.

WHO CAN RECEIVE AN EMERGENCY ADVANCE PAYMENT?

People who are due SSI benefits (including PD or PB payments) that are delayed or not received; and Are facing a "financial emergency"––which means they need money right away due to a threat to health or safety, such as not enough money for food, clothing, shelter or medical care.

HOW DO WE RECOVER AN EMERGENCY ADVANCE PAYMENT?

We will subtract the emergency advance payment from the payments already due you and pay you the difference. If you are not due past payments, we will subtract the emergency advance payment from your current monthly benefits in up to 6 monthly installments.

Rich

Comment

Let me be a complete stranger to congratulate you! Knowing the struggle that it can sometime take to get through this, I am extremely happy that you managed to work your way through and got to the end of the tunnel. I hope that this will also motivate others

Comment

Working...
                          X