Working and SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working and SSDI

If my memory serves me correct when my DW and I met with an attorney about filing my SSDI she told us I could be working no more 15 to 20 hours a month and earn no more than $1000-$1200 per month and still qualify.

But from everything I have read it's best if I am not working at all. So what's the truth? What's the best thing for me to do to hopefully be approved on my first application. Help me clear the confusion please. Thank you.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Part-time work and Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA)

Hi, Waydwnsouth1 and everyone. As often, the answer to what is the "best" practice does not necessarily lend itself to a simple answer. There are a number of factors to take into account, including: what work you are doing and what are its mental, physical and environmental demands; how many hours you are working per day and per week; what you need to establish in your claim to prove disability e.g., must you prove that you cannot perform even a sedentary exertional job or will you "grid out" at the sedentary or light exertional level; how your work affects you and your conditions, e.g., does it exacerbate your conditions? So you see, there are a number of possible factors at play here.

The Substantial Gainful Activity for a non-blind employee for year 2014 is $1,070/month before taxes (see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/cola/sga.html). If you are working at the SGA level, you may be disqualified from receiving benefits. At the federal minimum wage level of $7.25/hour, you could work approximately 35 hours/week and still be under the SGA level. But I think that with that much work, SSA may easily say that you are able to engage in SGA.

But what if you are working under SGA at 20-25 hours/week; it might be a tougher call, then, to determine if you would be able to work a full-time job.

I think SSA needs to be more sensitive that given the delays in the SSA disability system people still may need to engage in some work activity as their claim winds its way through the adjudicative process. The tendency is to look negatively at work activity, when the reality is that some claimants suffer as they continue to work part-time and are not able to sustain full-time, SGA-level work.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Rich perhaps this will help

I work as an automobile salesman. I am extremely heat intolerant and have difficulty walking. Once overheated I am unable to concentrate and my vision becomes blurry making difficult for me to read the computer. Therefore it's virtually impossible for me to work my deals. Due to the heat it makes it difficult for me to go out and wait on customers.

I have started missing at least one day a week of work and have to leave early at once a week. We work 10 hours a day 5 days a week. I am usually good for at least one full day at full speed. Beyond that it's anybody's guess.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

Working is difficult; heat intolerance

Sorry to hear that, Waydwnsouth1. I don't know how much you earn at this time and whether or not you'll be able to continue to work. Also, there are other factors to consider, including your age, etc., as I mentioned in my previous post. It would be best to consult with an attorney who practices in this area to see what your options might be.

This message board is not really designed for me to give advice individual situations, as much as I may like to.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X