Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability income

Hello all,
    I just have a question I was speaking with my sister in law and she says that when I receive my disability check it will be based off of my husbands income? Is this true? Is it if my husband make a lot of money then my check will be lower or what? I guess they didn't tell me this I applied last year and am waiting on my response back here soon.

Does anyone know how the income for disability is determined?

When I applied for SSDI it was based on my income, not husbands and his income was never asked for.

I am not sure if u mean you are applying for SSI, but I would think that is based on your income.

For clarification I would call Soc Sec office.

TS Dx RRMS in 95

Comment

If your husband is deceased, SSA will typically calculate the higher benefit for you. It's either based on your income, or 50%? of spouse's benefit, with you as his surviving spouse.

Each dependent child receives 50% of the primary SS beneficiary, your deceased spouse, which is the same benefit amount you receive as the surviving spouse.

If your spouse is still working, you are entitled to benefits based on your earnings, if you meet eligibility.

If your spouse is retired, upon your eligibelity for disability, you are eligible for the 50% benefit as a disabled spouse of your regired husband, or if SS disability benefits based on your earnings are hirer, you will receive the higher benefit amount.

If your spouse is deceased and SSA has not explained survivor benefits to you, you should contact SSA.

Comment

disability

Thank you both for your help I really appreciate it.

Comment

Hi, lisanatali and everyone. Lisanatali, is your husband deceased or still living? There is something called Disabled Widow's or Widower's benefits if one's spouse is deceased. The disabled spouse's benefits are based upon the insured, deceased spouse's benefits. The three main qualifications for the disabled spouse are: being between the ages of 50 and 60; meeting the definition of disability for adults and the disability starting before or within seven years of the worker's death. Here is one of SSA's link's -
          http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify9.htm

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

disability income

Hello All,
            well no my husband is not deceased and he is working. I don't work I cant no more, I have 3 kids but just wanted to know how the disability income would work I have heard a lot of stories. I live in AZ the land of the SUN not good for MS.

Comment

PIA and being insured for Social Security disability benefits

Per your original question, lisanatali, here is some info from SSA on how one's Primary Insurance Amount for Disability Insurance benefits (and other benefits) is calculated - http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/piaformula.html.

And here is some more information about qualifying for Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits from SSA's website:

You must be insured under the Social Security program before retirement, survivors, or disability benefits can be paid to you or your family. We consider the number of quarters of coverage you earned to determine if you are insured. You earn a quarter of coverage (QC)—also called a "credit"—for a certain amount of work covered under Social Security, but you may earn no more than 4 QCs per year. Generally you need to be fully insured to receive Social Security benefits, but other requirements may also apply...

Disability Insured: You have disability-insured status if you:
              have earned at least 20 QCs during the last 10 years, and
              are fully insured. Exceptions apply for those under age 31 and in certain other cases.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/insured.html
              Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
              X