Applying for SSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for SSI

If you complete an application for SSI on the web, can you later change the application if there are errors? Can you add additional information later?
    It's my understanding that you have to be interviewed by social security personnel if you're applying for SSI. The process is confusing to me. I'm concerned I may make errors but have already started an application.

It's possible to change or update your online app once you receive notice for the in person interview at the SS office.

Have you tried to access your on line app? I don't know first hand, but there should be a way to update/change your on line app. I'd give it a try. Probably requires your pin and password, SS number?

Good luck

Comment

Thanks

I've completed the first section only (and got a reference number back in late April - application expires on Monday 6/30). I'm concerned I'll leave something out.
      How long is it until you receive notice of the meeting with SSA?

Comment

Hello, its2much and MSW1963. Its2much, we have completed online apps for SSI only claimants. The notice from the field office comes pretty quickly in our experience, like in 1-2 weeks approximately. The field offices seem to be pretty on top of that. Of course, with more work and less staff, that could change.

I don't know specifically what you are referring to so it is kind of hard to answer. As a general matter, just do the best you can. If you need to correct something later, I am sure that SSA will allow you to do that. You just don't want to deliberately misstate something, which it doesn't sound like you are trying to do.

Perhaps you can state in some questions that you are attempting to get the information and when SSA contacts you to get more information, you can provide it them. If you have questions, you can contact your local SSA field office too.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

I tried to get back to

the online application today but was "locked" out. Said I made too many failed log-ins (which isn't accurate - I didn't make any .
          I did input some medical information earlier in the day but wanted to add more and complete the application.
          When I tried to start a new application, I was advised I already had one.
          Made three phone calls to SSA, waiting one hour each time but didn't get through to speak with anyone.

Comment

Hi, its2much. Yep, sometimes that happens. Are you calling the SSA's 800# or your local field office's telephone number. You may have to go visit them to get that appointment.

Unfortunately, unless SSA gets its funding, it gets harder for them to provide excellent customer service. Case in point, their hours have reduced.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
            X