Disability Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability Questions

I am still working although my hours have been dropped. I am still falling under "full time" so I do have insurance. My company does have short term disability which will pay me 1/2 my salary. Not sure if: 1. will this change my insurance status and 2. can I then apply for SSD?
    I also have a 16 yo child to raise which is difficult at the best. I have a few doctor visits set up along with a CT for my past lung ca and a MRI for my MS to see status. Trying to get by one day at a time.
    I haven't said anything to the admin at office just yet.
    Thank you for your help.

Moz,

Related to insurance status, you need to check with your company. When I was on STD, still eligible for benefits. If transitioned to LTD, some benefits were eligie, others not. This is not a standard, so your company policy needs to be reviewed.

As for SSDI, I believe it is determined by last day worked at which you were receiving above the "substantial gainful activity" dollar threshold. STD payments, I don't believe qualify. But I would check with SSA.gov website for clarification.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm aware of a commenly used tactic by companies, when employees reduced hours to accomodate health issues, even encouraged to do so by employers, only to realize benefits eligibility was lost when STD and/or LTD claims were denied, based on reduced hours or loss of full time employment status.

You should probably get itimized list in writing from HR to confirm your continued benefits eligibility based on reduced work hours.

Best of luck

Comment

I do have continued insurance and we do not have a HR dept. It would be our "practice manager" whom I would ask/tell that I need to go on disability. Worry about if my insurance will be stopped. Ugh, I have no idea what to do....my rent alone in NYC is over 1300.00 mth. I have been here over 30 years...where does time go?

Comment

Is it possible to increase your hours, even if at least on a temporary basis, as in long enough to reinstate your STD/LTD benefits eligibility, if in fact you have lost eligibility for either or both?

I seems that you need to determine what your STD/LTD status is based on 'reduced' work schedule, and go from there. Consult with ERISA/EEOC/Employment rights attorney. Your local chapter of the NMSS may have a list of referrals for qualified atts. for you specific situation.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

MSW1963, thank you for replying. I am still considered "fulltime" and there was no interruption of my health insurance because of such. There was no word that I was dropped from STD so I am sure that continues.

No other changes really other than a cut back of hours that really have not interfered with anything other than my paycheck. This is just a thought that since this is making me anxiety ridden with increased symptoms with my walking and eyesight on one eye and other symptoms with my balance. Since I work in a medical office, everyone has access to my records so I am not hiding anything from them. My practice manager has been well aware throughout all of this. I just don't want to bring up the whole disability thing in case I end up in a worse predicament.

Comment

Working...
            X