Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I hire an attorney before I apply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I hire an attorney before I apply?

Is it beneficial to hire an attorney before I start the application process?

I hired an attorney primarily because I didn't trust my cognitive skills to deal with the process, the massive stress I was experiencing from no longer being able to work, and my STD benefits were about to run out soon. Being a single income household, it just made sense to hire an attorney.

I believe the attorney fees are set by SSA at 25% of your initial benefit amount and are withheld from the initial SSDI payment and paid directly to your attorney by SSA. There is a max amount at which fees are capped, but I don't remember the amount. You can google specific SSDI questions regarding att. fees and much more. I didn't regret hiring an attorney it in the least, and to this day I still don't.

Rich will be along soon to answer your questions.

Comment

Thanks so much

Comment

attorney

well its difficult to say
        now if you think your case is strong i say no
        but also many attorneys dont want to take a case at the 1st stage because its no money in it for them..

Comment

Can anyone recommend an attorney in New Jersey ?

Comment

Contact your local chapter of the NMSS for a list of SSDI att's in your area.

There is a national organization by the name of Allsup that represents SSDI claimants. I believe they work with US applicants regardless of location. You'll probably find an 800 number to call for more info at the link below:

Best of luck

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
            X