Alternatives to SS disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to SS disability?

At present, I am working full time. I have Clinically Isolated Syndrome with numbness on one side and mild balance issues. At present, the only big challenges from CIS are related to heat with lassitude, severe fatigue, and occasional leg spams. I have a previous DX of Rheumatoid Arthritis which led me to become a consultant rather than a full-time teacher.

At present, I am having transformed migraines. I have a background headache every day and it flares with weather and stress. It is affecting my work. I have been making mistakes with reports and yesterday, I had one of the worst migraines ever. I had to go to work because this client had been waiting forever for an assessment. Someone at the office lost his file.

I do NOT want to rely on SS disability because I have decent days. I also have a hobby farm project that should produce a decent income once my heritage rare breed chickens are old enough to breed. I have 3 layers right now that pay for their own feed with their eggs. It's not very taxing physically and something I can certainly do even on a bad day.

We have a large farm with quite a bit of equity. Would I be able to invest that equity into mutual funds or other investments for income replacement, not retirement? I know the growth will be taxable but it will amount to almost what I'm making now based on average rate of return.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    CIS DX 2013

You are in a very good financial position. I think your idea to take some of the equity and invest it for income is brilliant one.

Comment

My understanding is that non-wage income does not count as income in regards to SSDI. Please do read up on it, but investments and rental income donīt count against you.

Comment

Working...
      X