24 month healthcare gap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month healthcare gap??

I signed up for NMSS's free legal clinic for estate planning. The lawyer said that he wasn't an estate planner but could talk to me about SSDI. . .ok sure I guess the odds of becoming fully crippled are pretty good. . .he said that it would take two years to get Medicaid, and that's just from when you're approved? Is that right?

I imagine my COBRA would be 500 month at least, that would be 12,000 for two years, does everyone pay that while waiting? And I'm sure they would love to accidentally on purpose lose the premium payment as I cost them $15500 per month.

It's Medicare--not Medicaid and yes it is 24 months. I spent a lot of my 401k to be covered under COBRA.

Comment

Medicare waiting period

Hi, dyin_myelin and wrest53. Just to be more specific, the Medicare waiting period is 24 months from the month in which one is first eligible to receive disability insurance benefits (called the "date of entitlement".) Remember that one must serve a five month waiting period prior to being eligible for disability insurance benefits. That five month period cannot commence more than 17 months prior to the disability insurance application. I did post on this some time ago in a little more detail. It is a bit confusing.

One's SSA Notice of Award should set forth the "date of entitlement" for disability insurance benefits. Medicare commences 24 months from the date of entitlement.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Hi DM,
        The attorney stated exactly what has happened to me. I left my job end of June, applied for SSDI, receaved my SSDI in December. I now am waiting for Medicare which will start 24 months after my first SSDI check. I used Cobra for insurance 18 months, i think, cost me $780.00 per month. Now with "affordable health care", (apporx. $670.00 / month), I need to bridge the gap of no Cobra to Medicare, 5 months. Keep all your paperwork of any and all things medical. It is a good paper trail to help you with your applications. Hope this helps.
        Peace and Love
        Steven

Comment

Hi, lefty12 and everyone. Actually, with the 11 month COBRA extension (if you are successful in your SSDI claim and notify COBRA) on top of the initial 18 months of COBRA, that should add up to 29 months so that there is no gap in coverage. See the following link for more information, though - http://www.dol.gov/elaws/ebsa/health...NYNNYNYY&CHNMW or for a shorter link - http://buff.ly/UwgTEf .

As always, and in particular concerning this issue, I am just giving out general information. Your specific situation should be investigated to determine what is the best solution for you. The general information I relay here may not apply to your specific situation. Be sure to obtain professional advice.

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
          X