Need some help figuring out social secuirty benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help figuring out social secuirty benefits

Admittedly I know nothing about Social Security, but I need some help from the board on what is probably a fairly common scenario:
    Spouse A: 66 years old, Retired with disability, and is considering filing for Social Security Disability
    Source B: 62 years old, non-working
    The latest statement from Social Security shows the current eligibility for SS
    Spouse A: $1900/mo (without disability)
    Spouse B: $890/mo

Is this course of action possible:
    Spouse A: File & Suspend social security until age 70
    Spouse B: File for Spousal Benefits @ $950/mo (50% of $1900 spousal benefit)

Then when spouse A reaches 70:
    Spouse A begins drawing at $2600/mo (8% increase annually)
    Spouse B begins drawing own benefit at age 66

Is that the way this works? Does social security disability put a kink in this plan?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate it!

pagnotar:

Is this course of action possible:
    Spouse A: File & Suspend social security until age 70
    Spouse B: File for Spousal Benefits @ $950/mo (50% of $1900 spousal benefit)

If your SS eligible spouse deferres benefits until age 70, your eligibility to claim benefits follows his. If he deffers to collecting SS benefits to age 70 your claim follows his.

If you are entitled to SS retirement benefits based on your own SS work credits, I'm not sure you would be allowed switch back and forth between your SS 'credits' then switch to benefits as spouse's dependent.

Although under limited circumstances, (for instance upon death of a primary SS benificiary), SS has allowed 'claims adjustment' for the higher benefit payment.

Rich Feingold should be along soon with more accurate advice/info.

Comment

Working...
    X