Benefits Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits Calculator

I was wondering if the benefit amount is determined by total life earnings or the income around the time you start receiving benefits. If you start receiving benefits and then work, does that affect the amount? Besides the fact that the benefits could stop.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi, Sardi_g. Lifetime earnings are used to calculate one's PIA (Primary Insurance Amount) - 35 years worth. For more info on this interesting question - see SSA's website: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/Benefits.html#aime.

I will get back to you regarding your other question.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Work / School Combination

I'm concerned about what I can do and not do....

I'd like to go to school 9 credits / semester in the fall and work PT(5 hrs). However, I'm reticent about doing both. I can't physically do MY JOB as a medical physicist any longer so I'm retraining in Statistics however, I'd like to work a few hours a week doing consulting.

(Legs are barely working)

Will this be frowned upon?
      First Symptom: May 2007
      Dx: August 2007

Comment

Working...
      X