LTD Denied, no income, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD Denied, no income, now what?

Worked for my company for over 20 years, lived with MS 14 of those years and pushed through relapses as long as I could. Went out on STD last year, then my company was paying me LTD with a reservation of rights while they were reviewing for LTD decision. Just found out they are denying LTD. My various physicians say not able to work, but there one physician who reviewed reports feels differently. My manager can't take me back without a return to work note. Catch 22, in the meantime I have no income.

As a result I'm starting to see an increase in symptoms already. The stress is just too much, worry about losing my house, car, medications, etc. Anyone have any ideas? I plan on seeking counsel ASAP and was wondering if any Northern New Jersey people can recommend an attorney that knows about MS and ERISA.

Thanks in advance...Diz

Try contacting your local chapter of the NMSS. Most chapters maintain a list of attorneys who specialize in ERISA/LTD.

So sorry to hear about your denied LTD. Have you applied for SSDI? Apply for both LTD and SSDI. Live on credit cards if necessary, downsize autos, liquidate assets if necessary to cover necessities.

Do you have Mortgage Disability Insurance coverage?

Very best of luck to you.

Comment

Sorry to hear. I am in the same boat. File for SSDI. If you Google disability secrets MS, there is a good website with helpful tips. The NMSS website also has good publications on filing for disability.

As for LTD, if you haven't already, start to gather your medical records. Also make sure you have the actual group policy for LTD...you may need to contact your company's plan administrator. Also request copies from LTD insurance carrier of full record , and likewise, STD. Your lawyer will need all of this and you will need some to file for SSDI.

If you can, start with your job description and start documenting how your disability impacts your ability to do that. You will also need up to 15 years work history for SSDI (job title changes, salary).

Lastly, don't let insurance carrier try to trick you into pulling more medical info or further review. It will be your appeal. Tell them you are gathering info to determine your appeal steps.

My lawyer said most are denied LTD unless terminal or severely injured. They figure most people will be scared back into work or just go away, and they do. There is also threads related to LTD and Erisa laws under the employment thread.

Good luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Broke with MS denied SSDI

I was Denied SSI and SDI my STD has run out and I have no money left I have just enough to pay the car note and maybe one payment to my credit card that I owe 1200.00 on. When I was DX I got attorney and was still denied. I have put in for he appeal and I get 189.00 a month to eat on threw food stamps.

My family can't and won't help my father isn't well he has ALS and is on SDI my mother died 10 yrs ago so the only one I have is the man I love and my 2 yr old boxer who is my assistants dog. He doesn't make enough to cover all the bills and my meds, gas for the car, and the insurance for the cars and for me.

I know how you feel and I wish you the best

Comment

Thx

Thx for your responses...while it's no fun to be in the position we are in, somehow knowing we aren't alone is of some comfort.

I took some of your advice and found an attorney, used NMSS resources for information, and started collecting information. I'm fortunate to have family be able to help with the bills, but it's not what I want. Adds is different kind of stress in some way.

Thanks for the advice, kind words, and I wish you all the best as well. Diz

Comment

SSDI Referral

When I was retired/LTD with my employer, I was instantaneously referred to a group call ALLSUP. ALLSUP is a contractor who works for my company whose sole purpose is to make sure I get my SSDI approved. After all, the more SSDI I get, the less the company has to pay me in LTD. If I don't receive SSDI, I have 2 more appeals and if I still don't get it, then it's my company's LTD policy to subtract the amount of SSDI I "should" be getting.

ALLSUP has really helped me along the process. I mainly had to get all of my medical records together and just hand it over to them. SSDI still contacted me for various reasons, but ALLSUP always followed up to make sure I had responded to SSDI requests.

Comment

LTD

When I was denied LTD I was very fortunate to have a friend that had worked for the same employer and had gone out on LTD before me.

She let me know that the LTD approved her case once she had a functional capacity exam done.

I called my LTD company and told them if this is what you want, then get it ordered.

Surprise, shortly after it was done, I was approved.

Google it, but it is a battery of OT and PT and lasts all day. I went in after I did my water workout in the morning. So that I would feel like one of my worse days.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Hi, everyone. Dizdude, contact NOSSCR - www.nosscr.org for a referral for the New Jersey area. If you need more resources in this regard, please let me know.

Rich
                Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Finally

After 9 months of LTD limbo, I was finally successful with my appeal. Extremely thankful at this point. Anticipate I will go through this again next year due to LTD contract wording. Next hurdle is SSDI to offset LTD. Declined twice so far so appeal is next. So grinds the system.

Comment

Good luck, I was denied SSDI twice. Prepare to be asked for neuro to send info every year or 5 yrs, depends on each case.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

TS dx 1995, on gilenya

Comment

Working...
                    X