Trying for SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying for SSD

Hello Rich. I am 55 in March. I am presently working as an RN on a small OB floor. I have been at this hospital for 35 yrs. I am in the position now where I cannot keep working. I am lining up some things money wise and will probably be quitting "retiring" in the next 6 mo or so.

My hospital has no long term disability. I have been intermittently using up my short term or FMLA over the last 7 yrs since diagnosis so I only have about 5-6 weeks left of that. I will go out on short term first

I went ahead a filled out the application for disability online knowing I would be denied since I was still working.

So I guess my question is, is to go out on short term disability from work my first step to getting SSDI? What if I quit and still get denied? I cannot do the physical nursing work anymore and my memory is making desk work and reports near impossible. I have appointments with the neuro social worker and with an attorney just for more info

Where do I get started and where do I go from here?!? Any help is appreciated. Thanks much. Jan :0)
    God only promises a safe landing, not a calm passage

If you stumble, make it part of your dance

Hi, objan. Once again, I apologize for the late response here. I am going over some old posts that I did not previously answer. You are probably well along in the process by now so if you have more updated questions, objan, please post them.

If you are working over the SGA (Substantial Gainful Activity) level ($1,070/month for a non-blind employee in 2014), then you cannot apply for benefits.

You don't have to apply for short-term disability through your employer to apply for Social Security disability, although that may be the logical first step. Yes, it is possible to quit and still get denied. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

I hope that you were able to get sound advice from the neuro social worker and attorney and have been able to move forward in a way that works.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X