Offsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offsets

Between 1987 and 1988 I had 2 back surgeries and 2 cancer surgeries (not related). I was put on disability by my Drs, I guess as I did not apply! I was only supposed to live a few years after cancer surgery ( Melanoma). I received 30,000 from my back settlement and $10,000 of that went to lawyer.

Anyway, SS said I should have been able to live on that so they were holding back a certain amt ea month from my check. I have asked numerous times, how much and for how long? I have yet to have anyone give me a straight answer! One person said it was such a small amt it would not make a difference and would take a long time to process!?!

Well that was 20+yrs ago. I am 64 now. Will I see a difference when I turn 65? I am receiving a check from
    long term disability : Gross amt is $850.72 with an offset of -$511.49. and a tax deduction of $60.85 so my net payment is $278.38 each month.

My SS check is a little over $850.00. So when the $278.38 stops will the $850. go up? (I hope)
    Sissy

Sissy, I am sorry, but I am not clear exactly what is going on in your case and unfortunately, I can't do a benefits analysis here on the board. If you have been receiving SSDI, I don't know why your personal injury settlement would affect your benefits. What is your full retirement age? Is it 65. At full retirement, your benefits would then be paid from the Social Security retirement fund, not disability fund. Check with SSA concerning whether your benefits would increase and how long your LTD benefits will last.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

I'm sorry Mr Feingold I have been ill with this MS and am just able to get to my PC.

I am 64 at this time. I was born in May 1949,my SS disability shows my start dates for Pt A & B started in 1991.
      I had a Malignant Melanoma removed from my rt thigh and returned to work 6 weeks later. I injured my back while taking care of a pt in April 1987 (I heard and felt a pop in my back)and reported it at that time. I continued to work until July 31,1987 when I had first back surg.

That surg caused more problems because the Dr left part of the disc in and the sciatic nerve pinched. So I was in severe pain until I was sent to a second Doc. Then, I had to have a second back surg in Oct 1987. I had to have a fusion and reconstruction which the Dr told my husband he was surprised I was not paralyzed already! He said I would probably end up in a wheel chair.

I was put in a full back brace until Aug of 1988. When it was removed I discover a lump in my rt groin. My Cancer had returned. I had my 2nd cancer surg in Oct of 1988 at which time I was told I had 2 yrs to live (I was still on medical leave from my back injury)I was in the hosp for 6 weeks but cont. to call in to the hosp every Friday to give them a status report as I was told to do.

While I was still in the hosp in Nov 1988 the hosp secretary asked me if I was told that I had already been terminated?! I never received a letter or anything! Just fired! I never applied for disability, my Dr's did it.

Sorry for the long story! But I went home to die! There was no treatment for my cancer and I had lost my job, my income, my new car and soon my life! So I just did not have the heart to handle anything else.
      Sissy

Comment

So sorry to hear about all you've been going through, Sissy. You are at true survivor!

Check in with SSA regarding your benefits.

Wishing you all the best.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Thank you Attorney Rich Feingold for replying. I really appreciate your time and caring. You have a blessed life!!
          Many Thanks!!
          Sonia Hull
          Sissy

Comment

A belated thank you for your well wishes, Sissy!

Rich

Comment

Working...
            X