Online Adult Disability Report question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Adult Disability Report question

I am at the beginning of applying for SSD and I'm trying to fill out the online Adult Disability Report. I had a question about the question 'Have you been diagnosed with any specific condition that is expected to end in death?' Is the answer to this yes because when I die I will still have MS or is the answer no because it is unlikely to actually cause my death?

If I answer yes I get this message,

'Illness Expected to End in Death

You told us that you have been diagnosed with an illness that is expected to end in death. When you complete the Internet Disability Report, we strongly encourage you to contact a local Social Security office at your earliest opportunity. We may be able to speed processing of your claim. Even if you do not finish the Internet Disability Report in this session, please make that contact with your local Social Security Office. When you contact the office, tell the representative that you are completing an Internet Disability Report and received this message.

If your illness is not expected to end in death, please use the Previous button below to correct your answer.'

Just want to make sure I'm filling this out right. Thank you for your help, JF

If you have a very progressive, chronic form of MS, I'm not sure anyone could answer that question YES until death.

It's more common with MS that after a lifetime of MS "attacks" your health will be affected, but COD is often something secondary that MS caused, for instance kidney or lung infections resulting from MS.

I would call your local SS office to make sure, especially if the application and approval process can be expedited, assuming you qualify for expedited approval.

Comment

That question about conditions expected to result in death refers to conditions that have short life expectancies and for which there are virtually no effective treatments - like ALS and pancreatic cancer, which have a life expectancy of no more than about 5 years. It generally refers to some other cancers and genetic conditions that don't have any treatments and will directly result in death in less than a year or within just a few years. It doesn't refer to a condition that in some way will eventually contribute to death. MS is almost always in that last category.

Best to call Social Security and ask them what that question refers to just to make sure. There might be an official list of conditions the representative can refer to. I hope the person you talk to doesn't just wing it and tell you they think MS is one of those conditions because there are SO many people who don't know anything about MS who think it's directly fatal. If the person tells you that I think it would be a really good idea to call and talk to somebody else.

Comment

Thank you for the answers! I will contact my local office to make sure. But yeah, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Thanks again, JF

Comment

"Expected to Result in Death"

Hello, everyone. According to SSA's Program Operations Manual System (POMS), Section DI 23510.001 Cases Involving Death - Title II and Title XVI:

A. Definition Of Disability

Since the Social Security Amendments of 1965, the disability impairment(s) preventing an individual from engaging in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) must be expected to result in death, or must have lasted or be expected to last for at least 12 continuous months from the date of onset.

Consider an impairment likely to result in death if:

Based on established medical knowledge, and under the particular circumstances in the case, it is found to be terminal; or

It actually results in death.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0423510001

Remember, the POMS is just one source of disability guidance and the information I am providing here is not to be used as advice for anyone's particular claim.

By the way, please do keep in mind that SSA fairly recently added Malignant Multiple Sclerosis to its list of its Compassionate Allowances. Here is a list of those Compassionate Allowances: http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallo...conditions.htm. And here is more information about Compassionate Allowances: http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/index.htm.

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
          X