Announcement

Collapse

CHANGES AT MSWORLD - MSWORLD'S CLOSURE

We began with a mission and purpose to help others living with MS.

We were excited to get going!

And hit a few bumps along the way…

However, in all seriousness, we remain grateful for our amazing volunteers, members & all who have made MSWorld a valuable resource for all!

July 10, 2024, we celebrated the goodness of these past 28 years. With a heavy heart, we will be ending our services.

We need a financial miracle to keep going forward.

We thank all for your support.

MSWorld's website will close on October 16, 2024.

“I personally want to wish all of you the guidance to find this type of support, as so many do here. Also, my prayers and love extends beyond my understanding. It has been a pleasure to steward this journey.”

God Bless you, Kathleen

Kathleen Wilson
Founding President
❤️

we leave knowing that
we did our best and
stayed true to our mission and purpose.

Please visit our General Questions and Answers forum to read more.
See more
See less

It won't stop. Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It won't stop. Help

I have been trying to get my benefits to stop for a year and a half now. I went back to work. First they said I owe them 7000. Then they said I need to pay all 42000 back because I never should have been approved. Then they send me a letter saying I have been reinstated and owe nothing and sent me a check for 15677 for the months they stopped paying. I gave the check back and said I want benefits to stop. Now after waiting several months I get yet another check for 15677! I am at my wits end. What do I do to make it stop?

What I could do with $31k.

An MS'er I know also notified SSA upon returning to work, and like you continued receiving benefit payments for over a year. Years later SSA recovered the funds by reducing SS benefits when the MS'er again qualified for SSDI benefits.

It's probably a good idea to not cash the check or spend the funds until the problem is resolved. SSA will probably attempt to recover benefits paid to you in error. If you do not have the entire amount available for repayment, SSA's repayment plan includes withholding income tax returns until the amount is repaid (assuming you are still working), or withholding funds from benefits you become eligible for in the future, the repayment arranged in installment payments withheld from monthly SSDI benefit payments in the future.

You should consider consulting with an SSDI attorney about resolving this really troubling problem you're having with SSA. If their accounting and benefits approval is as disorganized as indicated in your post, your repayment bill could be over $73k, that's if SSA only bills you for all benefit payments you received, and no additional amount is billed to you in error.

If you had an attorney when you initially filed for benefits, that would be a good place to start.

Rich mentioned in a previous benefit overpayment post, that there is an appeal process available. So there's that!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

I plan on seeking out a lawyer when I return home next week. I did not have a lawyer when I got the benefits. I always take the check back to the ssdi office and get a receipt of return. I just don't get how they can yell social security is going broke and then make it so complicated and difficult to get off disability. You would thing they would want to get rid of people faster to save money. Oh well disorganization at it best. Thank you for you reply.

Comment

Wow, Bar71. Sounds very confusing. It's too bad you have to go through this. Are you able to meet with someone at the Social Security office, hopefully someone in charge. Perhaps sitting down with them may help.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X