Have not claimed change of income (yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have not claimed change of income (yet)

I have been on ssdi for 5 years. The majority of that time I have been unemployed. This year I worked for a company starting in January for $100 a wk. In June/July, I made $200 a wk. I am now unemployed again.

I did not report a change of income to ss. What can I expect if I call them tomorrow and tell them about it? Will they cancel my benefits for not reporting a change in income? Will they make me pay something?

If I were not to tell them, and they found out down the road, what would happen then?

Thank you

I should mention, at no point was I making more than the maximum allowed amount to be kept on ss. I topped out at $850 a month for 2 months. I'm just curious how strict they are about the income reporting and how much trouble I could be in for not reporting it.

Anyone had experience w/ this?

Comment

If you report the change to SSI before the end of the tax year during which you earned the income, it's very likely SSI will overlook the fact that you did not report the change before you actually started your job, and earned the income. That's assuming all else is in order with respect to earnings, no other SSI exceptions, etc.

They will make you sweat just a bit for reporting your change in status late, but chances are you'll be ok.

Comment

Hello, whatismyname and MSW1963. Whatismyname, for the year 2013, the Trial Work Period monthly amount of $750 of gross income (before taxes and before taking into account any Impairment Related Work Expenses). If one earns over that amount in a month, that would use up a Trial Work Period month. One gets 9 TWP months during a five year period. One receives their full benefit during a TWP month. There are a lot more rules concerning this, however, as a general matter SSA should be made aware of income so that they can properly monitor one's Trial Work Work Period months and disability benefits.

SSA's website says that earnings should be reported by the 10th of the following month - http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/sp...g-earnings.htm. If you don't tell them and for some reason you were overpaid, SSA could notify you that you were overpaid and attempt to collect the overpayment.

Best of luck to you, whatismyname.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X