SHOULD I KEEP THE MONEY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHOULD I KEEP THE MONEY

dx in 1995 denied became paralyzed Jan.2003 social security said I was disabled but no social security March 2013 started receiving monthly check from social security with no written notification. I sure can use the money but worried that maybe I shouldn't be getting it. I am mobile at this time but still unable to work should I send the money back to them?

You should call Social Security and ask them what's going on instead of just sending the money back. Something definitely doesn't sound right but Social Security should tell you what they want you to do before you do something that will confuse the situation further.

Comment

for mser102 thanks

thanks for the advise called them and they said my
      case worker would give me a call still waiting

Comment

From Jan 2003 to March 2013 is an awful long time for this to be SSDI you applied for 10yrs ago. I imagine stranger things have happened.

Unless you have been appealing since 2003, which I'm not sure is even possible and seems unlikely based on your post.

Have you reached eligibelity for SS retirement benefits, age 65?

It may be a good sign that you have been assigned a case worker, you're 'in the SSA system' for what ever reason.

I wouldn't recommend spending it until you hear from the case worker.

If it was a payment made to you in error, if you are not in a position to repay the funds, SSA will collect the amount from benefits at a time in the future when you do become eligible or if you or spouse become eligible for a tax refund, the funds will be recovered.

Comment

Thanks for your posts, everyone. Ccsitter - we'll need more information to find out the basis of your receiving funds from SSA. I am sure that inquiries with SSA will help to resolve this mystery.

MSW1963 states that if payment was made in error, SSA "will collect the amount from benefits at a time in the future when you do become eligible or if you or spouse become eligible for a tax refund, the funds will be recovered."

Well, there may be other options here if funds were paid in error. SSA has a process where a request for a waiver of overpayment can be made. See http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-632.html.

Wishing you all the best.

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
          X