ssdi and financial difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ssdi and financial difficulty

can i apply for ssi even though i collect ssdi?

i was dx with ms in 2001 and in 2009 i stopped working and my insurance is medicare. since '09 i have been struggling - my cobra balance is over 1,000 and i maxed out my credit card. not sure where to go to apply for someone in my position

Hi, petpuppy. You might not be able to apply for SSI. It depends upon how much DIB you are receiving monthly. After the first $20, SSI is reduced dollar for dollar by unearned income. What is your DIB benefit?

Also, it may not help you, the maximum SSI benefit for 2013 is $710/month. SSA is supposed to apply claimants for both DIB and SSI benefits when they apply and then issue a denial if one is not eligible for either, or both programs.

You are receiving insurance through Medicare and COBRA?

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X