2016 SSDI Funding Depleted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 SSDI Funding Depleted

Not to be an alarmist, but what will happen when the funds in the Social Security Disability pool is exhausted by 2016? As a woman with MS (mid-40's) I am concerned.

I was dx in my twenties and worked until my early 40's until MS forced an early retirement through disability. I am divorced and struggle making it on SSDI.

Cutting benefits is going to happen (chained CPI, etc.) but how and when is yet to be determined. But, retirees (AARP, etc.) are politically active folks who continue to lobby for action on social security benefits (for retirees) but who's lobbying for the disabled?

Something to think about. . .
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

dm0329, I saw that on MSN today too. Got distracted and didn't post it, plus the whole alarmist thing for folks already financially stressed, disease stressed, regular life stressed.

I think AARP advocates for all SS eligible, although I'm sure their focus may be retirees, everyone (almost) retires eventually, so that's probably their core membership.

I've received AARP material for +10yrs, although I'm still years from retirement age, so I assume AARP advocates for all SS eligible who contributed to the SS fund.

It may be more about the political play book than DI reality, but I dk. The fear it invokes is very effective so I think we should not lose site of this issue. Maybe contact AARP as a SSDI member for more info, advocacy.

Thanks for posting the info.

Comment

Working...
    X