CA SDI length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA SDI length

How long does the claim stay active for. Meaning, if I went on SDI for a few months, then went on unemployment untill after a year from the original disability claim start date, does the original SDI claim end, or is it still active?

I know that SDI benefit payments stop when you go on unemployment. I don't know if your claim ends when your payments end. Maybe you could call EDD and ask them?

Comment

I would look at the CA website (for disability). When I was on sdi my doctor was the one that was controlling the length of my claim. --

Comment

There's a couple of things about the plan that might not work. The first thing is how are you going to go on unemployment after being disabled? You can't get unemployment if you lose your job because of something you do like quit or get fired. And you can't get unemployment if you aren't ready, willing and able to work. So if you quit or get fired because you were so disabled that you couldn't do your job then you aren't eligible for unemployment.

Then if you are ready, willing and able to work and get on unemployment that means you aren't disabled anymore. That might be the end of your claim. But I'm thinking that even if the claim is still open you would still need to have your doctors establish that your disabled again.

That makes me wonder if EDD will question about whether you were really disabled when you said you were or if you were really ready, willing and able to work when you said you were. The law is pretty clear about not paying if they can prove that a person committed fraud to get their payments.

Comment

First off there is no "plan". In my line of work jobs are assigned for 6-24 months. My first stint on SDI put me out of the loop for a new job placement, forcing me to go onto unemployment due to no work being available.

Now my Neuro and I think that I might not be able to take a new possition due to new symptoms. She is supportive but wants me to make the final decision.

I am trying to collect information about the timing of going back onto SDI, and the effects it will have on me if I need to file for SSDI. Will I be better off waiting a few more weeks for the initial SDI claim to be over 1 year old? Or is it better for me to stop UI and wait untill I can file a new SDI claim based on a quarter outside the first claim.

Comment

Wow that sounds complicated! With so much going on I wouldn't trust anyone on a message board to tell me the right thing. I would call EDD and ask them about the possibilities. And you know what? I wouldn't even trust the first person I talked to there! LOL! I would call 2 or 3 times to make sure I was talking to a different person every time and getting the same story from everybody. Good luck in getting the answers you need.

Comment

Working...
            X