job and SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

job and SSD

I've been on SSD now for over 2 years. I'm considering a p/t job. Will this affect my SSD payments?

i'm hoping someone can give me answers

I've been under the impression that if I get a p/t job making under $1,040 per month, that it would not affect my SSD.

PLUS loans that I took for my children's education have been on deferment since I stopped working and unless I figure out how to bring in an additional $600-$800 a month I'll never be able to pay these loans.

Earlier today I was doing some reading and read that even a part time job making under what is considered substantial earnings may put my SSD at risk. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Comment

I haven't dealt with the SSDI earnings issue but I have dealt with the student loan issue. PLUS loans can be cancelled if the borrower (that's you ) becomes totally and permanently disabled. That's cancelled, not just deferred. Did you tell them that your just not working or did you tell them that your disabled and on SSDI and will never be able to pay the loans?

If you call the PLUS loan center they can send you the forms to fill out to get your loans cancelled. Sometimes you can download forms from a website. They may not like to have to cancel your loans but if your disabled you qualify! That's so much better than having to worry about a part-time job and SSDI, don't you think?

Comment

I'm aware that if I can not work because of total disability that I can file to have the PLUS loan forgiven.

However.. I worked at a very physically challanging job for 34years. They put me on disability for a year and then forced retirement because they said I could no longer perform the essential functions of the job.

They have ALWAYS allowed employees during the time they're on disability to bid on other jobs that they're able to do, as the jobs became available. BUT.. they told me that if a job became available that I could do, they would NOT allow me to bid.

My neurologist said that I can no longer do the type of work I did or work the hours that I did. I am able to work p/t and in a sedetary position.

The loan forgiveness policy states that you must be unable to work any job in any capacity.. so, that said I doubt I'd qualify

I'm 58 years old and have no idea how I'll ever be able to start paying off the PLUS loans if I'm unable to work p/t without losing my SSD. I'm barely scraping by paying my essential living expenses.

Comment

Do the loan papers say you don't qualify if you can work "any job in any capacity" even though you've already been declared disabled by your doctors and Social Security and are on SSDI and can't pay anyway? Even if you don't think you'd qualify, have you applied anyway? And what about the kids you took the loans out for? Are they working? Can't they help to pay back the loans if you don't qualify? You took care of them, isn't it time they took care of you?

Comment

Yeah.. I'm not sure about all that, which is why i'm hoping someone on here has dealt with this issue or Rich has an answer for me.

I wish it were as easy as asking them to help pay the loan, but the fact is they all have student loans that they are responsible to pay. I helped them with undergraduate education, but one just earned her PHD, one is working on his PHD and bought a house, one is working on his master's degree is getting married in May and buying a house, and the youngest earned her masters degree, is considering going back to school, and is getting married in June.

Comment

Working...
            X