Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application Question

Hello Mr. Feingold,
    I have an appt with SSDI on January 23 to apply for benefits. I have been approved for disability with my employer beginning 2-1-2012 and receive Short Term Dis. I have put together a binder for the last 12 years of medical records, leave, performance reviews, etc. at considerable expense. The representative I spoke to instructed me to go online and fill out a disability report to start the process online. Should I do that or wait until my appt. I'm not in a hurry. I want to do what is best, but I already have a mountain of documentation. I do not want to do releases for info I have. Thank you for your advice.
    Prissy

Hi, Prissy. Thank you for your post. You are asking me questions regarding your specific situation and what would be the best course of action. I can't really advise you what to do in your specific case, though.

What is your concern regarding going online to file your application if that is what the representative told you to do? Also, you say that you do not want to sign releases, however, SSA may require you to cooperate in this regard.

Are you being represented by an attorney, Prissy. What is your concern in terms of being represented by an attorney?

Do you know what the legal requirements are to prove disability in your claim, that is, what must be established to be entitled to benefits? I think that is of great concern because you can always give a lot of information to SSA, which may be very important and relevant, but given your age, education, past work experience, transferable skills, residual functional capacity, medical condition, do you know what you need to prove under the law to establish disability? An attorney who practices in this area of law would develop a legal theory of disability.

It sounds like you are being very thorough in your claim and I certainly wish you all the best.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Application Question

Hello Mr. Feingold,
      I'm confused about when I can be represented by an attorney. I was told I had to be denied SSDI first. It would be great to be represented from the start I'm good with signing releases for SS. I just already have every medical record for the last 12 years ready for them. I didn't want them to order what I already have. Is filing online best when I have a lot of documentation or waiting until my appt on the 23rd. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

It is not true, Prissy, that one must be denied before hiring an attorney. My firm is an example of one that does help claimants file their disability claims online.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X