They want me to see their doc(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They want me to see their doc(s)

This is my first application for SSI. I don' t have enough work credits for Disability as I have been a SAHM for most of my adult life.

I applied after Thanksgiving and got a letter yesterday that they want me to see their "doc(s)". It's New Year's today so I can't call, but was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I know it shouldn't but this makes me nervous.

As far as I know, this is a normal procedure. They'll want you to have a mental and physical "evaluation". Which, it really makes no sense to me because, MS changes from one day to the next! I don't see how they can actually evaluate an MS patient in the short amount of time they have because they schedule a bunch of people on that same day! Don't worry about it, it's just a short process required for everyone who's filed for disability or ssi.

Comment

Consultative examinations

Hi, fromptok and ghostgirl. Yes, it can be a short examination, but it also can be a very important examination, especially if the consultative examiner states that you are basically fine, which many of my clients simply cannot believe. Also, another complaint is that the exam is too short and that "the doctor didn't really even examine me."

Here's the regulation concerning consultative examinations, from SSA's website:

§ 404.1517. Consultative examination at our expense.

If your medical sources cannot or will not give us sufficient medical evidence about your impairment for us to determine whether you are disabled or blind, we may ask you to have one or more physical or mental examinations or tests. We will pay for these examinations. However, we will not pay for any medical examination arranged by you or your representative without our advance approval. If we arrange for the examination or test, we will give you reasonable notice of the date, time, and place the examination or test will be given, and the name of the person or facility who will do it. We will also give the examiner any necessary background information about your condition.
      [56 FR 36956, Aug. 1, 1991]

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-1517.htm.

Sometimes these examination are for physical impairments and sometimes for cognitive impairments (because the MS listing considers cognitive functioning), or both.

Notice the first sentence of the regulation, "If your medical sources cannot or will not give us sufficient medical evidence." You may wish to consider having your own physician conduct the examination or provide the needed information. How to approach these medical exams is
      a matter of discretion to be discussed with your attorney.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I will go call my doc now and see what he suggests as well as make sure he sent his stuff in.

Thanks again.

Comment

Good idea, ghostgirl. And have your doctor take a look at the SSA Listing for MS in SSA's Blue Book for medical professionals - http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/.

Better yet, ghostgirl, consider hiring an attorney to help you in your claim. There is too much at stake here to do it yourself. This is just a friendly suggestion, ghostgirl; SSA does not require a claimant to hire an attorney.

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Thanks Rich.

I would love to be able to hire an attorney but sadly I am already paying one for a divorce that won't end. There is a group near me that helps but only after you receive a denial.

Comment

In these cases, ghostgirl, the attorney is paid if the claim is successful and past due benefits result. This is called a contingent fee because it is contingent upon winning. So you do no need to pay a fee at the beginning of the case.

There are other resources for finding an attorney, for example, the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) - www.nosscr.org, of which I am a member, by the way. You also could check with your local or state bar association.

Rich

Comment

Thanks again for the information Rich.

So I went and had my evaluation by their "doctor". Wow! Is all I can say. Two hours and forty five minutes of waiting for an eleven minute "evaluation" by a doctor who spoke extremely little English. He managed to ask if I had "something sharp". There was nothing in the room with us but a table, sink and covered up treadmill. He said, "walk". I asked where and he pointed and said,"line". Oy. I guess we'll see. Online says my determination was made before my appointment with him so I was a bit confused by that. Any ideas?

Comment

Really???

So I got my determination today. Denied.
                  The reason, if I am understanding it correctly, kind of pisses me off though.

"The determination on your claim was based solely on the examination report dated 1/21/13."

This was the state exam...the doctor who hardly spoke English. They received four other reports from MY doctors.

Obviously I will be getting a lawyer to help with the appeal. But can they really base it on one ten minute "exam" from a doctor who couldn't speak to me????

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgirl View Post
                    So I got my determination today. Denied.
                    The reason, if I am understanding it correctly, kind of pisses me off though.

"The determination on your claim was based solely on the examination report dated 1/21/13."

This was the state exam...the doctor who hardly spoke English. They received four other reports from MY doctors.

Obviously I will be getting a lawyer to help with the appeal. But can they really base it on one ten minute "exam" from a doctor who couldn't speak to me????
                    They did pretty much the same to me its a joke he did raise his voice about Ibuprofen and my anti inflammatory in combination my Dr prescribed the mental exam is 2 I talked to a Dr for 15 min and he stated well your not crazy and that was it they should have put you on the tread mill and se what happens it would take me about 10 minutes to be crippled. even the mobility test I did for my health care provider was the same with 5 treadmills in the therapy room I don't get it they state you need to be able to be on your feet up to 6 hours but they do not test that way

Comment

Working...
                    X