Curious about SS Disability/Medicare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about SS Disability/Medicare

I have my own business and it's been successful, buit now troubled.
    Anyway, 61, progressive, seperated from my wife 2 years and continue to go down hill and working with my wife is difficult.
    If I could make case for disability, does Medicare come along with it?
    I don't know how much longer this/I can last.
    Thank you.

There is a 2yr waiting period, I believe on the 2nd yr anniversary of your SSDI approval.

Your Social Security monthly benefit amount may also be reduced for SSDI, similar to retiring earlier than retirement age of 62.

Here is a link to SSA Basics Q&A:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html#a0=9

Best of luck.

Comment

Thought I would mention that the support of your MS Doctor is necessary in order to move forward with the SSDI application process and competing/submitting the SSDI forms.

With a progressive disease status that is unlikely to be a problem.

Take care

Comment

I'll give it another try...

"There is a 2yr waiting period, I believe on the 2nd. yr. anniversary date of your SSDI approval."

Should read:

There is a 2yr Medicare waiting period. I believe Medicare becomes effective on the 2nd. yr. anniversary date of your SSDI approval.

Comment

"Your Social Security monthly benefit amount may also be reduced for SSDI, similar to retiring earlier than retirement age of 62."

Do you have any specific reference on this? I have not seen any information that indicates that SSDI might be reduced because of age. I just passed 62, with no reduction in benefits.

Comment

Below is the SSA site that explains reduced benefits for early retirement. The site includes a calculation function based on your date of birth and early retirement age.

Because full retirment age is not achieved, SSDI benefits are calculated on reduced benefits.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/early_late.html

Comment

I disagree. SSDI is not retirement. Age has nothing to do with the amount of benefit. Benefits are calculated on average lifetime earnings.

When a SSDI recipient reaches full retirement age the amount of the benefit does not change, it is called then retirement benefits instead of disability benefits.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ility-benefits

Comment

I don't disagree.

My assertion is that SSDI and SS Retirement benefits when 'converted' at full retirement age will not be the maximum benefit amount the individual would have earned if SSDI were not awarded and SS Retirement benefits were instead awarded at full retirement age.

Comment

Rich?

I'd never heard anything about the possibility of reduced retirement benefits if on SSDI. The way I understand my Long Term Disability benefits, they convert to retirement benefits at retirement age, and, if I remain on disability until then, the assumption is that I "worked" until retirement age.

I hope Rich will comment on this. I am hoping that it is the same for SSDI.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The numbers are interesting. Here is the link to SSA's quick calculator:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/quickcalc/index.html

If you put in your date of birth, annual salary, and estimated retirement age, it will calculate your estimated retirement benefit, and also shows what your SSDI benefit would be if you were awarded disability benefits today.

Retirement benefits on my last annual salary are less than $100 more than SSDI if I worked to full retirement age and had no decrease or increase in pay.

If I retired early, SSDI payments were considerably more than retirement benefits.

Comment

Thanks for the link, but, and it may be my MS brain, but I am confused about how that might, or, might not, apply to me. I have no clue what to put in the earnings box, as I have no earnings. I already receive SSDI. I suspect that that calculator does not address my question at all.

My question is still addressed to Rich. Will I be eligible for a lower Social Security retirement benefit because I am currently receiving SSDI?

~ Faith
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thread addressed to Rich might get a quicker response

Mamabug, sorry you are confused about this thread.

My comments are in context to Steakbaron's specific questions and his current age.

According to his post he is not currently collecting SSDI benefits, but is considering applying for SSDI benefits.

A thread addressed to Rich might get a quicker response.

Take care

Comment

Thanks MSW. Will wait to see if Rich responds; he is usually pretty good, even if others have added input, at responding to threads. If he doesn't get to it, I may start a new thread and address the question to him personally.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

New member here.

As to your Q about Medicare....
                            You have to wait 2 years for Medicare from your date that the SSA agrees that you were disabled--NOT, repeat NOT from the date that you were approved for SSDI. So if your Dr. and their Dr.'s agree that you were disabled in 2010, you qualify for Medicare NOW.

To other posters postulations and Q's about early retirement, etc. You get your SSDI payments at your maximum retirement benefit amount and then you are converted to full retirement status on your retirement anniversary date. (eg, 66th birthday). You will continue to receive the SSDI amount after you are converted to full retirement status.

Note that the above is for SSDI, I know nothing about SSI.

Comment

Add to the above..there is the AOD date (the date YOU say that you were disabled) and the EOD date (the date THEY say you were disabled). The Medicare waiting period starts with the EOD date. Google <SSDI EOD date> for info.

Comment

Working...
                              X