SSI Disability Housing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSI Disability Housing question.

I'm on SSI Disability and trying to survive on $698. a month.
    I'm lucky that I own the home I'm living in out right and there is no rent. The thing I'm having trouble with is paying the property taxes at the end of each year. They are like $1,100-$1,400 and it's getting impossible for me to come up with this kind of payment. Is there any kind of help for housing I could get from SS or somewhere else?

It's a tough life with this little SSI money

Thank you for any ideas or help.

It would be best to call and check with your state SS office to see if you qualify. I have heard that if you are over 65 or disabled, you get a property tax relief (according to some I know who live in my state.)
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi fivepointstar

I don't know where you live but check with the County Tax office...some counties have programs for low income people...good luck
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Thanks for the replies, The only thing the tax department gives me is the $25,000 Homestead deduction and a $500. disability deduction. These are just off the full value of the property and the taxes are still $1,100 - 1,500 a year that I do not have. I'm in Florida and living off $698. a month and a few food stamps.

I guess I won't be driving that new Ferrari anytime soon

Comment

Can you qualify for a reverse mortgage on your home? I think it is 65 and older, sorry but have no idea how old you are. My mother got one and it has taken all the pressure off her financially.
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I agree with Scooter. A reverse mortgage sounds like the best option for you. You did not say but I am assuming that you have no retirement account or other assets to pull from.
            You should also be elgible for Medicaid to help with your health care expenses.

Lastly, since you have deedable property you might ask a family member to pay the taxes for you with an understanding that they will recover their "investment" when the home is sold.

Comment

Yea, I'm not old enough for a reverse mortgage and not too sure how they work.
              Also, I have no family left, I'm in this big ole world all by myself and a large Great Dane.
              I don't want to sell this home as I would have no where to live. Thanks for the replies, I'm still working on it.

Comment

If that is your situation then yes a reverse mortgage would be a good idea for you, basically they buy your house and then you live in it until you either pass away or until you are put in a nursing home for more than 11 months. you still pay taxes and insurance and have to maintain the home but you will have the money to do it. It is government insured and is not a rip off or scam. You should check into it.
                Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hi, everyone. In a reverse mortgage, the bank doesn't buy your home; it is form of a loan where you basically use the equity in your home to live. You could Google reverse mortgage; here is a shortened link to some Google results: http://tinyurl.com/8c8wcnm.

You should talk to SSA and an attorney who does estate planning before you take any money out of your home because non-exempt assets would affect your SSI eligibility, e.g., if you take money out and put it in a bank account...or possibly if you receive a monthly amount, it might affect your SSI benefit. Remember, SSI is a needs-based program. So you do have to be careful. You could talk to an estate planning attorney concerning planning that would allow you to keep Medicaid and your benefits.

Be sure to check out eligibility for food stamps and Medicaid (as mentioned) and any other local government programs.

Rich
                  Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Thanks, Rich
                    Yea, I'm only 10 years away from qualifying for a reverse mortgage. Read an article in the paper today about reverse mortgages and it was quite scary.

I do get Medicaid and $174. in food stamps. My monthly SSI has been reduced by $10. a month as SS says they sent me $1,600 that should have gone to my Attorney. I told them I never remember getting any extra cash, Besides what they owed me. When I was awarded the SSI they screwed me out of $40,000 in back pay by changing my disability onset date. I guess a little something is better then nothing.

Only took me 6 years to get it.

Thanks everyone for the great help..

Comment

What is the Section 8 housing that I hear about on TV?
                      Maybe I could collect something under this?

Comment

Hi fivepointstar:
                        Section 8 is rental assistance for low-income apartment tenants. It doesn't help homeowners in any way.

Have you checked with one of Florida’s Aging and Disability Resource Centers to see if there are any resources that might help you to save enough money to pay your property taxes?

Plus, there might be services available to help you in other ways. For instance, you might look into whether there is an accountant or financial counselor available to review your budget and finances at low or no cost. Not remembering receiving $1,600 from SSI is very different than going through your financial records to find proof that it did or didn't happen. If you're not aware of what happened to $1,600, there might be other things that have slipped by you that a financial counselor can help with.

You said that you're getting food stamps, but have you thought about supplementing your groceries by going to a food bank?

There are also food banks for pets (google something like "Florida food banks for pets") you could take advantage of. You can also search for low-cost veterinary services. And after your Great Dane passes, you should probably start thinking Chihuahua instead. That might break your heart, but what a Great Dane consumes in food each year costs as much as your property taxes. Hard times call for hard choices.

I hope you can find some resources to help you stretch your money so everyone and everything get taken care of.

Comment

Thanks, Redwings

Yea, the GreatDane cost me plenty of my little bit of income each month, I would do without myself before letting my dog not get all his food, treats and toys each month.

I'm just dragging through each and every day.
                          Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Comment

Also my Mom passed away a year and a half ago and I was wondering if there were any benefits that she was receiving from SS that maybe I could get?

Comment

Working...
                            X