Still not sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still not sure

I applied for SSDI in February, got notified in June that I was approved and the first payment will be the end of this month. While my benefit payment is not much, I could more or less survive on it.

Yesterday, I got a call for a full time, work at home position that will begin the first week in November and is expected to last indefinetely. I have wanted this position for quite sometime and I am excited about it. I will make at least twice what I make on SSDI and way over what I understand is the limit allowed by SSA.

However, I am not 100% sure that I can now handle this job. Full time work may be too much for me, and part time is not an option with this company. My cognitive skills aren't up to par, and fatigue is ever present, so I am leery of accepting it and then loosing the SSDI that I have been awarded, only to then loose the job 2 months down the road.

I know SSA has a nine month trial work period. But, I thought I read somewhere on SSA's site, that the 9 month trial work period could not be used until you have been on SSDI for one year. Unfortunately, I am unable to find that information again.

Rich, any info you have on this would be appreciated.

Hello, Vanlue and everyone. I seem to recall that there may have been a previous response to this issue, but it is worth answering here anyway.

You may be referring to the regulation concerning the Trial Work Period that states:

"(d) Who is and is not entitled to a trial work period. (1) You are generally entitled to a trial work period if you are entitled to disability insurance benefits, child's benefits based on disability, or widow's or widower's or surviving divorced spouse's benefits based on disability.
    (2) You are not entitled to a trial work period—
    (i) If you are entitled to a period of disability but not to disability insurance benefits, and you are not entitled to any other type of disability benefit under title II of the Social Security Act (i.e., child's benefits based on disability, or widow's or widower's benefits or surviving divorced spouse's benefits based on disability);
    (ii) If you perform work demonstrating the ability to engage in substantial gainful activity during any required waiting period for benefits;
    (iii) If you perform work demonstrating the ability to engage in substantial gainful activity within 12 months of the onset of the impairment(s) that prevented you from performing substantial gainful activity and before the date of any notice of determination or decision finding that you are disabled; or
    (iv) For any month prior to the month of your application for disability benefits (see paragraph (e) of this section)." 20 CFR § 404.1592. (http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-1592.htm)

This section does not seem to say what you stated in your post, that one has to be receiving SSDI for one year.

Of course, you can/should check with your local office to see how work activity may affect your individual benefits. Good luck.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X