RICH: Part time work once approved for SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RICH: Part time work once approved for SSDI

Once I apply and eventually (hopefully) get my social security disability, I would like to find a part time job. Not many hours, just morning hours (best time fo the day for my MS), a few days a week.

I was told by a friend on SSDI that Social Security really frowns upon that, thinking if you can work a few hours a few times a week, then you can work a few MORE, then a few MORE, and maybe you really aren't disabled after all.

I've printed off information from the SS site on working after being approved, and I didn't think it raised any huge red flags. So now I'm not so sure. I certainly wouldn't want to risk any benefits I'll be working so hard to gain. Any advice?

Thank you,
    dck696
    Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
    Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
    dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Hi, Donna. I just noticed that I had not responded to this post. You can work part-time, however, there are various concepts operating with regard to Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, such as the Trial Work Period and Substantial Gainful Activity. For SSDI benefits, one can test one's ability to work by engaging in a Trial Work Period month. For the year 2012, the monthly TWP amount is $720 - see http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html.

If one uses up all nine of the TWP months, then SSA applies the Extended Period of Eligibility for the next 36 months to determine ongoing eligibility - see http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-...supports.htm#2.

One can work part-time and not earn an excessive amount of money to have one's benefits terminated. SSA does conduct continuing disability reviews and will ask about work activity and daily activities. Even if one is not earning too much money from employment, SSA could conceivably determine that one has to capacity to return to work, but there must be medical improvement that would allow one to return to work. If your work time is limited, SSA would have to justify any decision that you could work and not simply say that you could work more and more hours.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X