SSDI for a Homemaker/Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI for a Homemaker/Student

I have searched and searched for an answer to my question. I have been a homemaker for 13 years (with a few jobs here and there) and a student over the past 3 years with the plan to become a nurse. I have made the decision to drop out of my nursing program as my cognitive functioning has become a huge obstacle along with physical issues and severe fatigue. So now I am at a lose as to what my rights are. I know I cannot work at this time and seem to be progressing in my MS symptoms/disability. Our plan as a family has always been for my husband to retire (which will be in 2 years) and for me to start my career and be the bread winner. So here I sit wondering now what???????? Although I do have credits for SS there probably aren't many from the past 13 years, can I apply for disability when the time comes? We are not considered "low-income" so I don't know if there are other options. Thanks for your thoughts and advise.

Hi, lisad40. It doesn't sound like you are eligible for SSDI because of a lack of recent work history. The other program, SSI, is a needs-based disability program and your eligibility would depend upon your spouse's income and family assets. Check with Social Security regarding your eligibility as I am just giving general information here. Sorry to hear about your worsening condition and I hope you feel better.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X