Disability Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability Help

I was diagnosed in September 2011, after sudden onset. MRI and Spinal Tap confirmed MS. I was blessed to be diagnosed within 24 hours. No other symptoms before this. I had owned and operated a business until 2000, when we sold, we moved to care for aging parents. All parents have passed away and we are not employed. Am I eligible for Social Security. I paid into it, but have not been employed since 2000. Any help would be appreciated. My symptoms are keeping me from gainful employment at this time in my life. I am only 52 and have a long way to go...

Ssi

If your dr classifies you as disabled, I believe you are, but might need to consult an attorney to get all of the legal paperwork done. From my understanding, they just take a % of the back pay you are owed which would be since the date of your diagnosis.
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Hi, dlorist1 and everyone. If you are over age 31 and you last worked 10 years ago, then for Social Security Disability Insurance purposes, you may be last insured for benefits around 2005. This assumes that you worked steadily in covered employment (where FICA taxes were deducted) and earned four credits each year. Of course, check with SSA to determine what your Date Last Insured (DLI) actually is; I am just giving you general guidelines.

In order to qualify for SSDI, you must prove your disability commenced prior to the DLI. SSI (Supplemental Security Income) does not have this DLI requirement so if you are otherwise eligible for SSI (meaning that you meet the poverty standards, unfortunately), then that benefit program may be available to you.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X